Menopause making autism more intense

Hi

Any older women going through or been through the peri-menopause/menopause? Did it make your autism more intense?  ...for the whole time of going through the menopause or just the weeks when your period would have been due?

I'm 50 and really struggling with severe mood swings, complete change of personality, left social media and isolated. go from feeling lonely to feeling resentful if someone texts me and I feel they're going to want to visit. Have become severely agoraphobic and hate crowds though can cope with going on quiet walks with the dog if I go when no-one else (or as few people as humanly possible) will be there.  so will set off in the dark very early am to reach the field/park for just as its turning to daylight so we have the place to ourselves etc.

What are other women's experiences of going through the menopause? Did it change your behaviour and/or personality completely?  go from calm to extremely anxious or rage within a few seconds?

I live very isolated and its up to a month wait for a GP appointment though none of them have experience of autism anyway so just wanted to know if my symptoms were 'normal' for an autistic woman, even if they were more intense than what a non-autistic woman would go through?

Thanks

Kit

Parents
  • Hi Kit,

Yes - this is my experience. I’ve felt pretty awful for the past three years - and I think it coincided with the menopause. I then had a serious illness last year - so now I’m struggling to separate what symptoms are from what - I think it’s likely a complex mix of being autistic, menopause, other mental health issues and stress and the impact of being so physically ill at the end of last year. I won’t lie - I feel like a complete mess. I’m only just managing to keep going - and that I am is basically because I don’t have much choice really! 

i can’t take antidepressants due to a previous really bad reaction to an anti-depressant - so I’d never dare risk that again. I’m generally not keen on medication if I can avoid it - I prefer to go the natural route if I can.

live been taking A Vogel Menopause support but I don’t think it’s made much difference. I go out for lots of walks in the countryside as I find that being out in nature helps. But I just basically feel awful most of the time. Because of this I’m seriously considering taking HRT. My mum had breast cancer in her thirties so I have been reluctant  to try HRT - but it’s getting to the point where I almost have nothing to lose. 

Like you I find being around a lot of people quite difficult. The isolation of the pandemic has made me even more like this. It’s only my husband and children that keep me going really. 
    I have many of the ‘classic’ autistic traits - and I’m part way through the assessment process for a diagnosis. Both my children are autistic - although only my youngest has a diagnosis. He’s a young adult now but was diagnosed aged 10. 
    My autistic traits do seem to have intensified over the last 3 years, and I have read things about autistic women struggling more as they reach the menopause.

Have you found anything that helps? 

I'm sending you lots of solidarity and best wishes - because I know how hard this is. I’m sorry you’re struggling too. I don’t have any answers but you’re certainly not alone x 

• Hi Kit,

Yes - this is my experience. I’ve felt pretty awful for the past three years - and I think it coincided with the menopause. I then had a serious illness last year - so now I’m struggling to separate what symptoms are from what - I think it’s likely a complex mix of being autistic, menopause, other mental health issues and stress and the impact of being so physically ill at the end of last year. I won’t lie - I feel like a complete mess. I’m only just managing to keep going - and that I am is basically because I don’t have much choice really! 

i can’t take antidepressants due to a previous really bad reaction to an anti-depressant - so I’d never dare risk that again. I’m generally not keen on medication if I can avoid it - I prefer to go the natural route if I can.

live been taking A Vogel Menopause support but I don’t think it’s made much difference. I go out for lots of walks in the countryside as I find that being out in nature helps. But I just basically feel awful most of the time. Because of this I’m seriously considering taking HRT. My mum had breast cancer in her thirties so I have been reluctant  to try HRT - but it’s getting to the point where I almost have nothing to lose. 

Like you I find being around a lot of people quite difficult. The isolation of the pandemic has made me even more like this. It’s only my husband and children that keep me going really. 
    I have many of the ‘classic’ autistic traits - and I’m part way through the assessment process for a diagnosis. Both my children are autistic - although only my youngest has a diagnosis. He’s a young adult now but was diagnosed aged 10. 
    My autistic traits do seem to have intensified over the last 3 years, and I have read things about autistic women struggling more as they reach the menopause.

Have you found anything that helps? 

I'm sending you lots of solidarity and best wishes - because I know how hard this is. I’m sorry you’re struggling too. I don’t have any answers but you’re certainly not alone x 

Children
No Data