Menopause making autism more intense

Hi

Any older women going through or been through the peri-menopause/menopause? Did it make your autism more intense?  ...for the whole time of going through the menopause or just the weeks when your period would have been due?

I'm 50 and really struggling with severe mood swings, complete change of personality, left social media and isolated. go from feeling lonely to feeling resentful if someone texts me and I feel they're going to want to visit. Have become severely agoraphobic and hate crowds though can cope with going on quiet walks with the dog if I go when no-one else (or as few people as humanly possible) will be there.  so will set off in the dark very early am to reach the field/park for just as its turning to daylight so we have the place to ourselves etc.

What are other women's experiences of going through the menopause? Did it change your behaviour and/or personality completely?  go from calm to extremely anxious or rage within a few seconds?

I live very isolated and its up to a month wait for a GP appointment though none of them have experience of autism anyway so just wanted to know if my symptoms were 'normal' for an autistic woman, even if they were more intense than what a non-autistic woman would go through?

Thanks

Kit

Parents
  • Greetings to "KitMcDayDream"... from a 48 Year Old on here. Just hang on in there... as far as I know, Autism has nothing to do with "Menopause", but just everything to do with however reactions to outside influences has. Just take experience (ageing) into account as well as Autism.

...However, From what I have read elsewhere including that which You write here... the "Menopause" sounds pretty "scary" (!). I personally have been diagnosed as "pre-menopause", but this actually depends upon what I EAT. (Avoiding Carbohydrates delays Menstruation or makes it less painful.) I personally look forward to "Menopause" since I would no longer have stupid-painful 'periods'... but, as I said, You make it sound scary...

...Um...sorry if this wasn't helpful. I agree with the response from Darkshines, certainly. (I only wrote this much because You invite pre-menopausal Women to post as well!) Bottom line is, "Menopause" is different for everyone, apparently, so, pay attention to what You eat, and what You do, and where You are... and find ways to balance that out. (Foods, Meditation, etc.) (Again, sorry if this was not helpful!)

• I also manage what I eat, except when I lose it completely  Scream

Hot flushes are awful in the summer but OK in the winter. 

The worst part was going to the doctor. I looked at my shoes, mumbled something and walked out with a prescription I thought I had made it clear I didn't want. Now it's occupying a space in the bathroom cupboard. The doctor story is one I could save and regale you with another time... 

• ( Um... Yes, Thank You very much for replying to Me... the uncertainty there, is in beginning a sort of "sub-topic" here, about being given Drugs/Medicines which are neither wanted nor asked for. I can *definitely* identify with that!

...It is as if "They" are - perhaps by LAW? - obliged to 'prescribe certain things'. Unless it is proved by either Allergies or by Death, that those 'certain prescribed things' are not suitable for that particular individual. This is a very sensitive topic/digression, which is why I suggest a separate Thread and  am not liking it despite it being extremely important. )

• I gotcha anyway and it was my fault for going off topic! 

Thanks For this... We both were at fault there... some OPs (Opening Posters) are more tolerant than others, Y'see... (!)

We could begin a new long Thread about Misunderstanding from "official experts", but there are so many already that I would not know where to begin apart from starting a new  "angry rant"!    ...I wait to see invitation from the OP again Myself, since I already posted a sort of apology/compromise. BUT with regards to Autism/Menopause/Medicines/Ageing... these are all linked (not interchangeable though) yet hard to follow and separate... Especially if one has the same "chlidlike" allergies or behaviours regardless of Age or Menopause... (This was My "Brainwave Frequency" Theory.)

Reply Children

Thanks For this... We both were at fault there... some OPs (Opening Posters) are more tolerant than others, Y'see... (!)

We could begin a new long Thread about Misunderstanding from "official experts", but there are so many already that I would not know where to begin apart from starting a new  "angry rant"!    ...I wait to see invitation from the OP again Myself, since I already posted a sort of apology/compromise. BUT with regards to Autism/Menopause/Medicines/Ageing... these are all linked (not interchangeable though) yet hard to follow and separate... Especially if one has the same "chlidlike" allergies or behaviours regardless of Age or Menopause... (This was My "Brainwave Frequency" Theory.)