My doctor just agreed to refer me but...

... she basically said a lot of the symptoms I mentioned are similar to what others experience and I got the sense that she didn't believe that I actually have autism. I tried my best to express everything I go through, though I know I missed a lot out due anxiety and, well, autism - I find it very hard to explain things and yet in order to get help that's what I have to do and the whole thing is very stressful and frustrating. I've also only just realised recently that this is what I have and haven't got to a point where I understand it all and can articulate it yet.

The whole thing made me feel under the spotlight and I felt like I was desperately trying to prove that This is what I experience and This is where I need to be referred to please. It's like I've already questioned myself enough as to whether I actually have this or whether I'm just being melodramatic without feeling more under scrutiny from a doctor too. But then maybe I'm overreacting and it's just that she simply didn't confirm that I'm autistic like I'd wanted, rather than her thinking 'there's no way you're autistic'.

Idk if this makes that much sense at this point. Does anyone else feel like other ppl don't believe/understand them, even professionals? It's basically why I haven't told my family yet because I expect they'll be somehow dismissive.

She also said that the waiting list for an assessment is over a year, which is fine and all, what I expected, but the thing is I need to be applying for some benefits soon because I have no income. Do I have to wait until I'm definitely in some kind of service before I can apply for benefits? Presumably I will need to prove that I'm sick, but if I'm not currently getting any help, how can I do that? I guess I could have a panic attack in front of whoever it is that decides whether you get benefits or not.

I have an assessment in 6 months for some kind of general therapy so that's a little sooner at least.

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated because I'm feeling a little on my own with this right now.

Parents
  • Unfortunately some GPs don't have much knowledge/awareness about autism and can be dismissive or perhaps just try to normalise your experiences because they think you'll feel better.  If she has agreed to refer you, though, that is the main thing and my experience has been that the autism team (when you eventually get to see them) are very understanding, helpful and thorough.  

In the meantime i would suggest that you make a benefits claim based on your difficulties and how you function in the world because I think the DWP focus on functioning rather than diagnosis (although if diagnosed this would provide corroborative evidence at a later date).  I would also recommend using the Benefits and Work website info to help you with your claim as this will help you to ensure you capture all the relevant information and increase the chances of it going through successfully.  I tend to go through these things with a fine toothed comb, check my wording, that I've included all relevant attachments and keep a copy for future reference.  

While your assessment is pending you could maybe state that you have a referral to the Autism Team plus, if you suspect your current GP might downplay your difficulties, see another one and make sure they are up to date.  The DWP may well contact your GP surgery and it's as well for them to have seen you recently and be aware of all your issues.  I have been known to take a list with me to make sure, as far as I can, that everything's included.  It's also my practice to respond to any NHS correspondance which i think omits or downplays anything, asking that it be amended in case of future queries by third parties (meaning the DWP or pensions agencies).  Guess i'm just not the trusting type!

Overall my view is that it's better to get a claim started asap as you don't know what delays or queries there might be and all the time you'll be moving up the assessment waiting list.          

• Thank you very much. This is really helpful. There's relief knowing I can apply anyway

Reply Children
No Data