*Autistic Shutdowns collection* - Do you experience these ?

Hi

I have been trying to work out if I am experiencing Shutdowns, I am still not sure 

I have been trying to find information online but its pretty unspecific. Very few videos about it either.

If you experience shutdowns, please

1. list the symptoms
  2. describe the process you experience
  3. describe how you feel afterwards please
  4. what triggers it / is there always a trigger ?

I want to determine if I am indeed experiencing shutdowns.  

Get your experiences added to this collection  Thumbsup.

Thanks for any responses,advice,ideas

Parents
  • just digging this one up in hope more newbies can contribute

• I experience this sensation that I’ve come to call “freezing”. I easily get overwhelmed by the various types of stimulus in the outside world and all of the conflicting thoughts inside my head. I end up feeling confused and unable to make decisions and as a result I enter a semi-catatonic state where I become unable to do anything. I feel like I enter a state of hyper-awareness, it’s so surreal. You know if you become too aware of your own breathing it just doesn’t feel natural anymore? I feel like I become too aware of my own thought processes and as a result they end up feeling the same way.

• That's what I've started call it: flight or fight, but I 'freeze'. And it's weird, there's kinda a nothingness and an everythingness, or hyper awareness, at the same time. For me it's fundamentally thoughts overwhelming me when i get conflicting information (body language not equating to their words or actions), or i just can't make sense of what's going on. You describe it better than me, esp as shutdown implies nothing is happening.

• I guess that makes me feel a bit less weird Slight smile

• Yours sounds more acute than mine. Mine only gets triggered when I'm overwhelmed, mostly dating, then it happens loads.

Yeah, I've known other autists not have strong sex drives. I don't. But when I get into a relationship my sex drive seems to be ome normal. What i don't do is objectify someone, which is partly what you need to do for sex. My desire comes about through intimacy. So maybe you'll find you'll have more interest than you think. A few of my autistic friends said they were asexual until they met someone they actually fell in love with. And then there are women out there who feel the same, or don't want sex for other reasons. I could even see it being a positive if you put it on your dating profile. Not with most women, but enough.

• I feel trapped because I crave intimacy but I have the self awareness to know that I’m vulnerable and very dependent on my close family. Even if I was in a position to date, I’m socially inept and I have an unconventional sexuality which would make it even more problematic. I’m attracted to women but I’m not particularly interested in sex.

• I feel trapped because I crave intimacy but I have the self awareness to know that I’m vulnerable and very dependent on my close family. Even if I was in a position to date, I’m socially inept and I have an unconventional sexuality which would make it even more problematic. I’m attracted to women but I’m not particularly interested in sex.

Children
  • I guess that makes me feel a bit less weird Slight smile

• Yours sounds more acute than mine. Mine only gets triggered when I'm overwhelmed, mostly dating, then it happens loads.

Yeah, I've known other autists not have strong sex drives. I don't. But when I get into a relationship my sex drive seems to be ome normal. What i don't do is objectify someone, which is partly what you need to do for sex. My desire comes about through intimacy. So maybe you'll find you'll have more interest than you think. A few of my autistic friends said they were asexual until they met someone they actually fell in love with. And then there are women out there who feel the same, or don't want sex for other reasons. I could even see it being a positive if you put it on your dating profile. Not with most women, but enough.