Accommodations at university?

Anyone have any experience or knowledge about what universities can offer to somone who is struggling to be on campus and attend any group work sessions?  I know they'll probably ask the question about what the persont hemselves would find helpful.  However, i'm afraid the answer is likely to be, "Switching to doing the course online!"   I'm guessing this is likely to be a non starter.  :( 

Parents
  • I would say that you need to speak to the Support team within the University and ask for them to really engage with the student to try and resolve this rather than letting it continue. The warning letters re non-attendance are standard but don't need to be sent out if they're going to add to the student's already heightened stress levels, and accommodations can be made once the staff are aware of the situation. 

DSA generally takes up to 6 months to come through from the initial application, sometimes faster dependent on area and response time. It can be used for so many additional tools that I'd really recommend it, although the student will have to attend an interview with an assessor who will evaluate their level of need - at a time like this that might be a difficulty that needs to be navigated. 

• Yes, I'm hoping they'll he able to help.  6 months is a very long time though, when you're already 3 weeks into an academic year.  :(   Any delay would add to the disadvantages already faced as a result not just related to difference but also to being diagnosed very late.  Presumably early diagnosis might have meant support would have been in place from the start and I'm finding it hard to get my head around the fact that, pre-diagnosis, the individual was simply blames for any difficulties whereas once they're diagnosed, it opens up the possibility of understanding and support.  To be honest, I'm a bit dismayed that a university psychology department wouldn't be set up to accommodate differences, even if they haven't been formally identified.  

• Yes, I'm hoping they'll he able to help.  6 months is a very long time though, when you're already 3 weeks into an academic year.  :(   Any delay would add to the disadvantages already faced as a result not just related to difference but also to being diagnosed very late.  Presumably early diagnosis might have meant support would have been in place from the start and I'm finding it hard to get my head around the fact that, pre-diagnosis, the individual was simply blames for any difficulties whereas once they're diagnosed, it opens up the possibility of understanding and support.  To be honest, I'm a bit dismayed that a university psychology department wouldn't be set up to accommodate differences, even if they haven't been formally identified.  

Children
No Data