Obsessions

Im struggling atm with everything i do becomes obsesional even reading listening to music mindfulness tecqniques. They become so tiring i give up on everything and dont have any special interests left as they all become compulsive. I do everything so intently it doesnt become satisfying. I get really down  abt this sort of behaviour i cannot seem to stop. Is this related to my asd which i was diagnosed with 3 months ago. Many thanks gaz.p.s even religion in the past with all its rituals etc

Parents
  • Hello,

You may be suffering autistic burnout, I’ve had this a number of times in my life. It is a complete shutdown which requires rest, a healthy diet and fresh air. I find long walks useful.

It is also perfectly possible to have both autism and OCD. The main difference being that with OCD, repetitive behaviour is thought to be performed to reduce anxiety, whilst in autism repetitive behaviour is just preferred behaviour, i.e., what the individual wants to do.

You may just need to be kinder to yourself and accept that special interests and repetitive behaviours are not abnormal, but natural and fulfilling for many autistic people.

• Hello,

You may be suffering autistic burnout, I’ve had this a number of times in my life. It is a complete shutdown which requires rest, a healthy diet and fresh air. I find long walks useful.

It is also perfectly possible to have both autism and OCD. The main difference being that with OCD, repetitive behaviour is thought to be performed to reduce anxiety, whilst in autism repetitive behaviour is just preferred behaviour, i.e., what the individual wants to do.

You may just need to be kinder to yourself and accept that special interests and repetitive behaviours are not abnormal, but natural and fulfilling for many autistic people.

Children