Newly Diagnosed - Unsupportive Employer - Advice Please

Hi,

My young children have ASD and and attend a special school. My children are healthy and happy and have always had the support they need.  I'm so thankful for this. It didn't exist when I went to school.  This has prompted me to get a diagnosis for myself to see if I could get some support for the lifelong issues I've had i.e. social isolation, anxiety, often feeling overwhelmed .  At 43 I was recently diagnosed with Aspergers, although I pretty much self diagnosed myself a long time ago.   I did well academically and have always had a job, even though I've always struggled at work.  I'm currently an office manager in a very busy environment.   Luckily, I'm part time now, which has made things much easier i.e. I have days off to come down from the stress of it but still have high levels of anxiety from this.  I read a policy at work about disclosing your disability to your employer as it stated they had a legal right to support you e.g. tailored adjustments etc. I sent my boss an email from home disclosing my diagnosis and didn't get the response I was expecting.  He basically just asked why I was telling him about it?! I replied stating somewhere along the lines of support and understanding and that was the end of it.  No further discussion. I've been in my current role a long time and I'm good at my job but I'm getting sick of the stress from it.     I feel like just quitting and being a stay at home mum but I've worked hard to get the job I have and the loss of money would mean less holidays and things for the kids too.   Other than this I've tried to be proactive in getting some support.  I'm booked on a course about dealing with anxiety, which I feel is a good start.  Can anyone recommend any other things I could try?   Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Hello,

in a similar situation (diagnosed a year ago, also in my 40s) except that work are now being fairly good. Most issues I've had were i think lack of understanding rather than wilful ignorance! The other problem ive had is working out what would actually help me! So in the end what ive asked for and got:

(1) flexible working (i work one day a week from home, sometimes more when its possible, time in lieu if ive had to work weekends or evenings)

(2) regular one to one meetings with line manager to clarify priorities/highlight difficulties (to be fair this is only useful if line manager is good!)

(3) noise cancelling headphones

(4) a job coach/co-coach to work with me and my boss. This is funded for access to work. Could be worth looking into something similar.

hope that helps you get some ideas - and an idea of what other employers consider reasonable!

• I think the key is asking for what you want

Reply Children
No Data