Art

Ok, there's a decent chance this one's just me, but I'm curious.

I don't get art. I understand making it as an outlet, and I can appreciate beauty. However when I look at a painting/sculpture etc, I don't 'feel' anything. Either it looks pretty or it doesn't, it's done with skill or it's not. This seems to span all genres/movements.

As this is a sort of perception thing, and to do with connecting emotionally, I wondered whether it may be ASD related. Does anyone else feel the same? Negative responses welcome as this is just a point of interest, I'm not looking for reassurance.

Parents
  • I enjoy looking at art, and a fair few of the books in my collection are art books, though I don't get to galleries very much these days. I'm not sure that I really emotionally connect with art, though. I think I enjoy it more as a kind of visual stimming, just for the effects that the colours, patterns, textures, etc. make on my mind. There is a lot of figurative art that I do like, but I tend to enjoy abstract art more - and when I dabbled in a bit of painting myself, I mainly painted abstracts. I also have a liking for art where the "message" is more of an idea than a feeling - things like M.C.Escher's prints of impossible geometry, or Magritte's games with how we perceive images.

However, I can get much the same pleasure from poring over a well drawn map or engineering drawing, and I enjoy dabbling with software for drawing fractals derived purely from mathematical equations. So I don't really distinguish between art which is meant to have emotional content and images which aren't meant to have any at all.

• I enjoy looking at art, and a fair few of the books in my collection are art books, though I don't get to galleries very much these days. I'm not sure that I really emotionally connect with art, though. I think I enjoy it more as a kind of visual stimming, just for the effects that the colours, patterns, textures, etc. make on my mind. There is a lot of figurative art that I do like, but I tend to enjoy abstract art more - and when I dabbled in a bit of painting myself, I mainly painted abstracts. I also have a liking for art where the "message" is more of an idea than a feeling - things like M.C.Escher's prints of impossible geometry, or Magritte's games with how we perceive images.

However, I can get much the same pleasure from poring over a well drawn map or engineering drawing, and I enjoy dabbling with software for drawing fractals derived purely from mathematical equations. So I don't really distinguish between art which is meant to have emotional content and images which aren't meant to have any at all.

Children