Motion Sickness

I suffer badly with sea sickness. I've tried every technique going and nothing works. I know a couple of other people who I suspect are autistic but haven't been formally diagnosed, and they are exactly the same.

Just curious to know whether others on here are the same, and also equally interested to hear from people on the spectrum for whom it's not a problem.

Any techniques / remedies welcome, (though I've probably tried it :) ).

Parents
  • Yeah I get this. Video games can make me ill for days. I once tried call of duty about 10 years ago and was unwell for about three days.  I could hardly get out of bed.  I get quite dizzy and disorientated if I’m just walking along the footpath and I turn to see if the road is safe to cross.  

I agree with duckbread a out a full stomach helping, I need carbs when I start feeling motion sick.  Or if it’s quite bad I need to lie down till it’s eased off then eat a load of sugar.  

I haven’t found anything to help it really.  Other than avoiding ships, and knowing if I’m flying to take extra snacks. 

• I've always wondered why I get dizzy just turning my head. I can't ride a bike unless I just fix my eyes ahead and I had to stop driving lessons as just looking at the mirrors made me really disorientated.

VR headsets are like kryptonite to me too!

• Do you wear glasses?

That’s horrible you have to stop driving lessons.  It gives you so much freedom being able to drive and avoid public transport.

I tried a VR headset a few years ago. I didn’t feel right for about two weeks it was horrible.  

• Ha ha - I ought to try that one, thanks! I have quite a few friends who are quite preachy about environmental issues (not that I disagree with them in principle), and I'm occasionally struck that I'm probably "greener" than any of them. But it takes me no effort at all, so it just doesn't occur to me to see it as virtuous. I was always encouraged to have the "make do and mend" mentality as a kid, and many of the trapping of modern life seem like they'd just complicate my existence too much. Fixing something fished out of a neighbour's skip isn't "recycling" - it's a fun project!

• and pedestrians RunnerRunnerDancerMan dancingRunnerDancerRunner

• Trogluddite - luckily now I can use the "it's bad for the environment" reason for not driving and most people are on board!

Reply Children