Motion Sickness

I suffer badly with sea sickness. I've tried every technique going and nothing works. I know a couple of other people who I suspect are autistic but haven't been formally diagnosed, and they are exactly the same.

Just curious to know whether others on here are the same, and also equally interested to hear from people on the spectrum for whom it's not a problem.

Any techniques / remedies welcome, (though I've probably tried it :) ).

• I don't normally have a problem with sea sickness, though I love sailing so I may have just gotten used to it. If the sea is really bad, then I sometimes do get sick but that is more rare. I will often take Stugeron just to make sure I don't get sick though, if I think it will be rough. 

Cars though cause me lots of problems. It never happened when I was a child but once I learnt to drive and then went to uni where I barely ever went in a car, I started to have problems. I need to be in the front of the car or have a very clear view out the front to not have problems. 

• I'm with - the smell alone would make me sick! The bobbing doesn't sound great either.

• Yep bobbing around on a boat surrounded by fish guts would definitely be an issue for me. Joy I struggle with the smells in Morrisons!

• I have only been on the waltzers once...never again

• Thanks all for responses. Most people who have replied have some motion sickness difficulty. I don't think anyone has replied saying they are completely fine.

I also suspect some of you would get sea sickness on the trips I go on; small fishing boat where the engines are cut and we bob for several hours whilst "chum" (effectively fish guts and cooking oil) is thrown in to attract seabirds and sharks. The smell of the fish, the diesel, and the bobbing always sets me off, but I'm usually the only one on board who's I'll.

Thanks again. 

• Ha ha - I ought to try that one, thanks! I have quite a few friends who are quite preachy about environmental issues (not that I disagree with them in principle), and I'm occasionally struck that I'm probably "greener" than any of them. But it takes me no effort at all, so it just doesn't occur to me to see it as virtuous. I was always encouraged to have the "make do and mend" mentality as a kid, and many of the trapping of modern life seem like they'd just complicate my existence too much. Fixing something fished out of a neighbour's skip isn't "recycling" - it's a fun project!

• I once had an awful experience on the waltzers... I started getting really dizzy and sick, and my Dad was yelling at the guy running them to stop because I looked like I was going to pass out, but the guy kept it going and just laughed. It was so scary.

• and pedestrians RunnerRunnerDancerMan dancingRunnerDancerRunner

• Trogluddite - luckily now I can use the "it's bad for the environment" reason for not driving and most people are on board!

• I've worn glasses for over 10 years... don't think it'll be getting better! 

• I fell off a bike this weekend!! I only learnt to ride in my late 20s after many failed attempts. I can ride it if I'm on a wide empty path but as soon as there's visual stimuli (other bike riders, dogs, bollards) it's like I can't process it quickly enough and my brain panics and I end up either constantly stopping to avoid crashing, or I give it a go and get it all wrong and end up on the floor. I don't think I've ever been for a bike ride and not fallen off. And it gets more painful the older I get!!

• I’m fine too on a fast rollercoaster.  But even the thought of the pirate ship or the spinning teacups makes my stomach churn. 

• How long have you been wearing them? When I first started wearing them when I turned about 23 I got so motion sick from them.  The optician said for people that haven’t worn them before you aren’t used to turning your head to see things, so just moving your eyes as you’re used to means you catch the unfocused bits around the lenses and can cause motion sickness in sensitive people.  I’m just wondering if you’re new to them and you’re trying to look at a lot of things at once when driving that it can be adding to your dizziness.  I couldn’t wear them at all, I felt so dizzy all the time.  

• Your not alone with the disorientation problems when trying to drive - I gave up my lessons for similar reasons. Even using a mirror to shave sends my proprioception wonky - if you've ever seen the "rubber hand illusion", that's basically what happens to me - my mind starts to think that the reflection of my hand is my actual hand, and then I have to go looking for sticking plasters!

And yes, being unable to drive does make one feel like something of a second-class citizen these days, doesn't it?!

• I don't suffer with sea sickness, but I do get disoriented and feel sick if I am in a car for example.

Sensory overload can also send my proprioceptive sense into turmoil. The room can sway and spin which is awful.

I have tried VR games a few times and they have made me ill and have left me feeling like I am not properly grounded to the floor. Not nice!

• Ooh the Pirate Ship was my nemesis as a child! I used to get so queasy on that.

• Phew - glad it's not Menieres Slight smile

• How about getting a lend of a bicycle to see if you can improve you balance --- I walk quite a bit and where there are small walls I walk along the top of them ( "walkig a beam") as a way to improve balance. Balance improves with practise.