The waiting game

I'm trying to find a swap with my council flat, preferably within the area I live in. This is because my mum is 70 and I'm worried if I leave the area she'll be lonely as I'm the only child who still lives near her.

The place I live has loud and inconsiderate neighbours, and they scare me, and there were misunderstandings and things just seem beyond the point of healing now. For now, I'm struggling to cope. Loud banging every day. I can wear earphones and listen to music or a film and do sometimes but I can't do this constantly, it irritates my ears having too much of that after a while.

I can stay at my parents' house sometimes but my dad is noisy too and won't listen to requests to be quieter. So I get the stress there too.

I feel my life is wasting away, I've been in the flat with neighbours I don't like for 2 years now, and before I got that flat I shared a house with my mum and noisy, inconsiderate dad for about 4-5 years, all of which were difficult and stressful.

When am I ever going to catch a break?

Parents Reply
  • That's frustrating. Fingers crossed for you - hope you manage to find somewhere.

It might be worth contacting Citizens' Advice to see if there's any way they can help (e.g. if you let them know that you're hoping to live closer to your mum, but feel the council are only presenting options in unsafe areas).

Hope it all improves for you soon.

Children