Concentration tips

I'm having one of those days (and often do!) where I have a big task to complete (my dissertation), but just can't concentrate. My mind keeps wandering, I'm procrastinating, and I feel like I'm not sure where to start.

Does anyone have any tips on getting yourself to focus when you're struggling with concentration?

Parents
  • It's been a while since I was at uni (thankfully) but when overwhelmed I would write a list and start with something easy. Or set a word count and then reward myself with something when I hit it.

Totally out of practice now - I remember being able to write or revise for 2-3hrs straight! I blame smartphones...Grinning

• Thank you - I've got a list and I'll think of a reward for when I hit my next target Slight smile

I used to have such good concentration in college, but I really struggle now. Smartphones definitely don't help Slight smile

• Yep. When I was at uni I would get distracted by the internet on my laptop but if I was reading or making notes it would be a big inconvenience to load it all up. Now I can't sit through an advert break without checking my phone. 

My difficulty was "when you finish this, you can watch a 30min ep of a TV show"...3 hrs later I'd be finishing the series. Joy

• Yep. When I was at uni I would get distracted by the internet on my laptop but if I was reading or making notes it would be a big inconvenience to load it all up. Now I can't sit through an advert break without checking my phone. 

My difficulty was "when you finish this, you can watch a 30min ep of a TV show"...3 hrs later I'd be finishing the series. Joy

Children
  • It's just too easy to hop onto social media or start Googling random things when you're trying to work.

Haha, I've fallen into that trap before Joy I'll also tell myself I can read one chapter of a book, then that chapter ends on a cliffhanger... 3 hours later, the book's finished and the assignment is not!