Not sure if my Dad has Autism

Since leaving home I've noticed how much my dad is awkward in social situations, dosnt like to go out and hates when my mum leaves him and as long as I can remember will not use a phone.

He never really sumpathises if someone else is upset or how someone else feels. He has pushed all my mums friends away and dosnt overly enjoy having to come and visit me.

I cant remember as a kid him giving me hugs or kissing me. Recently he stayed over at the weekend with my mum to look after my 2 kids and within a week of them going home they then argued for a month. This is not unusual however this time I predicted it happening as he hates change but I dont understand why he then leaves it a few days and creates an argument due to this.

Does this sound like autism?

Parents
  • there is also social anxiety which is very close in symptoms to what you have stated.  

He sounds just like me ( on the spectrum ). 

Assuming he is on the spectrum,,    Just so u know he does love u but wont show it  with hugging etc but he will be thinking about you all the time and worrying about you all the time. When the chips are down he will be there for you.  Make sure you are texting/contacting him directly if you can.  Don't worry if he doesn't reply it will register with him. He will love u being around again. Yes the change is upsetting him  ( plus the extra noise perhaps ) but dont worry about it. He does want you around. If you can, get him, help him to get a diagnosis. That's the one thing that settled my mind a lot.  ASD is a real struggle at times.   ASD people do have sympathy but in a different way. Look on youtube for ways to handle people with autism there is a load of good stuff there. 

• thanks for your reply. I try to text and make contact but while there arguing he would rather not speak to me. I've questioned this before to him and he just says "what is wrong with me wanting a few weeks off to myself" and he dosn't understand how it feels to me.

When he has a meltdown his anger is terrible so everyones always walking on eggshells around him waiting for the next time he will go of on one. We are all petrified to mention anything to him as I really do not think it will end well.

• thanks for your reply. I try to text and make contact but while there arguing he would rather not speak to me. I've questioned this before to him and he just says "what is wrong with me wanting a few weeks off to myself" and he dosn't understand how it feels to me.

When he has a meltdown his anger is terrible so everyones always walking on eggshells around him waiting for the next time he will go of on one. We are all petrified to mention anything to him as I really do not think it will end well.

Children
No Data