What is the easiest way to explain aspergers to someone who has never heard it before?

Hello everyone.

My nephew who is five asked me what aspergers is the other day. I actually found myself unsure what to say. Truth be told, I have found that most adults struggle to understand, let alone a child.

What is short, succinct sentence that I can use for both children and adults? Rather than a technical explanation, is there a metaphor or analogy that could best describe aspergers?

Suggestion please. Thank you.

Parents
  • I always look at life as a whole where everyone is different:-

As someone getting to grips with my lifelong condition as well as getting others observations:-

We have strengths (like superheroes) which includes seeing things differently, hearing things differently, smelling things differently, etc.

We also have weaknesses that can be used against us (taking things literally, trusting, honest) - Sensitive to everything around us.

When we are utilising our strengths then we can excel at what we are doing but our weaknesses are like say a fish being unable to swim in the air and outside the water. Superman and Kryptonite spring to mind but that is for older children.

Have a look on you tube for child friendly videos on the condition.

• Great, thank you! I especially liked the part when you mentioned about ‘utilising our strengths then we can excel’. I can appreciate the positive message behind it. 

Reply Children
No Data