Blogging

Do you? 

I wrote thousands of words blogging over a couple of years ending Sept 2018, with the blog being more and more about autism. It was really helpful for me to write, and I connected with a handful of like-minded souls & even got on a list of featured autistic blogs, but then I realised that there was little unique about my story and only a handful of people were reading so I pulled the plug.

I occasionally think of starting again, re-creating some of my best material (I thought I had a backup but didn't!), but I'm finding life away from social media so much more relaxing that I keep telling myself not to bother.

Just wondered what others do......... 

Parents
  • I think you're looking at it from the wrong way. For your situation specifically I would recommend blogging as a therapeutic activity. Blogging is the same as keeping a diary. Writing your thoughts is essentially a feedback tool. You get to self reflect which is a crucial tool to self development and better decision making. Trust me it really does make a difference. If you're already writing a separate diary then fine, but if not then a blog is a great way of keeping your spirit clean. I would recommend blogging just to keep your brain active and keep you disciplined in a routine.

• I think you're looking at it from the wrong way. For your situation specifically I would recommend blogging as a therapeutic activity. Blogging is the same as keeping a diary. Writing your thoughts is essentially a feedback tool. You get to self reflect which is a crucial tool to self development and better decision making. Trust me it really does make a difference. If you're already writing a separate diary then fine, but if not then a blog is a great way of keeping your spirit clean. I would recommend blogging just to keep your brain active and keep you disciplined in a routine.

Children
  • That's certainly what I found when I was blogging madly a couple of years ago; writing things clearly knowing that others would read it certainly forced me to make sense of things (you have to understand things before you can explain them, unless what you're explaining is the fact that you don't understand something). I found that hyperlinking my posts together was like completing a jigsaw puzzle, with the result being self understanding.

But I've finished that particular jigsaw puzzle now, and I don't need to blog for the same reasons again - and my brain is kept active on many other things so I don't need it to provide an impetus to be active and disciplined. 

If I did blog again, it would be with more of an eye on helping others, but again I would be one voice in thousands of potentially clearer voices even in a subject so specific as recovering from autistic burnout.

As I said, I have plenty of other pursuits to occupy me, so I won't be blogging unless the balance of drivers shifts again.