Autism and Religion

Hi Folks - I have a situation I'd like to share with you and comment on if you think it would be helpful. I would appreciate some feedback.

I believe in God and have, over the years, as  someone living with a diagnosed ASD tried to attend church. I always thought it would be a way to maybe meet people and make friends because I am very isolated.

I find the whole thing hard because it is noisy and I can't always cope with that or the people (I hate being touched) and if I'm having a bad day and know I'm heading for meltdown (like today) I stay away so it doesn't happen there because they wouldn't understand. Which is where my question comes in -

I spoke to the Vicar at my church and told him I was autistic and would find some 'adjustments' useful (e.g. being able to sit at the back so I can move around if I need to, or not to go forward for things like communion which I don't get really, or not to be part of a small group). He seemed to think that was ok but said my admission to being autistic explained why I was a bit weird (not helpful). Most people know I have autism there.

I thought Christians were supposed to be accepting and loving and stuff but no-one speaks to me, offers any hand in friendship or shows any respect for my condition.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and how did you cope with it (other than staying away which is what I do now)?

Any good stories about going to church or Mosque or other place of worship? How have others treated you because of being autistic or maybe you have a child who is autistic - how was it?

I'm trying to work some of this stuff out and would appreciate comments.

Thanks Everyone!

Parents
  • How very interesting 92325......I now note that your "smooth" first ever post has now been EDITED to incorporate an advert for "God graffiti" to the face of a wall.  That is very sneaky !  I've not seen it done that way before.....I begrudgingly impressed by your strategy to try and circumvent the "automated" systems of this site.

Thankfully, you forgot that there are ACTUAL humans around.

Your actions are against the rules of this forum.  I trust our vigilant MODS will make the necessary amendments to your standing post.

HOUNDS - Please.

Reply Children
No Data