Ongoing assessment saga

So last year I saw my GP because my anxiety seemed to be gradually worse and medication (Citalopram) wasn't having much effect (I was also on anti migraine medication).

So we discussed whether there was an underlying reason for my stress and anxiety seemed to be getting worse over the last few years?

The result of this was for me to write 8 of notes pages that I gave my GP in order for him to seek advice as to whether there warranted further investigation.

However, after about 3 months, he said he could not find anyone to take a look and so I asked for a private referral.

This resulted in me seeing a Consultant Psychiatrist at the end of May, who said he was 95% sure that I had Aspergers. But in his letter to my GP stated he always seeked a second opinion but was having trouble finding a suitable available Psychologist. 

Yesterday marked 6 weeks since my consultation and asked what was happening. Apparently, I had been referred to Hampshire & Surrey Psychology. I contacted them and was replied with their process for assessment.

To my irritation, it appears I have to pay (~£300) for another consultation to determine whether it is worth me having the full assessment (at an addition cost of £1500).

I just feel that my consultation with the Psychiatrist was a waste of time and money :(

I have to wait two weeks for my second consultation :(

Parents
  • OK so time for an update !

I have had my observational test which went sort of OK (I think).

The first test, was to put some "W" shaped foam pieces into an outline on a piece of card, which was pretty easy. Although without realising it, I fitted all the orange ones on the outside and the blue ones in the middle, making it nice and symmetrical :)

Second test was a picture book (no words) The first page was a boy sleeping in bed with a book next to him and I was asked what happens next. 

I shrugged and said he wakes up?? But I was told I was supposed to turn over to next page and following pages to describe was was going on. It was clearly some sort of dream, but made no sense. In the end I just gave up and the Psychologist finished it off. 

Then I had to pretend I was brushing my teeth, which was easy as I do this twice a day the same way over. I think I was giving a running commentary on this.

Finally, was the make a story from some objects. I can clearly remember all the objects and word for word the story the Psychologist made up - I was tempted to put her straight on a few "holes" in her story but resisted Slight smile

She made it easy for me, because I had just driven for over an hour to get there and I had travelling on the brain. I was allowed to pick my objects from the bag containing two rubber bands, a small 9 of hearts playing card, a maroon toy car, red spiky rubber ball, lolly stick,green wooden cube and a white card disc. 

Of course I took the car and square immediately and said a man leaves his house, drives down a road (Lolly stick) and as he goes around the roundabout (white card disc) forgot his spiky ball and returns home to get it - the end. The Psychologist said I did better than most. 

BUT if she had given me say the cube, rubber bands, ball, disc and playing card to make a story -  I would not have had a clue what to say ?? And this has bothered me ever since.

Next session is with my wife and I on the 13th Aug, where my wife will be interviewed for an hour and me for 2 hours. Then the two Psychologist's will confer and give a diagnosis or not?

Trouble is my wife doesn't believe I have ASD, but says I have changed since the Psychiatrist said he was 95% sure I had Aspergers. yet when we both took the AAA  test, and we both score really highly. My wife thinks that she could be on the spectrum (we think her father definitely was) but is happy to live with it.

God know what I will do if they say I don't have ASD - I did have an initial session to determine whether it was worth having the full assessment (costing > £1500) and I was told it was definitely worth proceeding, if I thought it would help me. 

Now I'm not so sure what to think :(

• OK so time for an update !

I have had my observational test which went sort of OK (I think).

The first test, was to put some "W" shaped foam pieces into an outline on a piece of card, which was pretty easy. Although without realising it, I fitted all the orange ones on the outside and the blue ones in the middle, making it nice and symmetrical :)

Second test was a picture book (no words) The first page was a boy sleeping in bed with a book next to him and I was asked what happens next. 

I shrugged and said he wakes up?? But I was told I was supposed to turn over to next page and following pages to describe was was going on. It was clearly some sort of dream, but made no sense. In the end I just gave up and the Psychologist finished it off. 

Then I had to pretend I was brushing my teeth, which was easy as I do this twice a day the same way over. I think I was giving a running commentary on this.

Finally, was the make a story from some objects. I can clearly remember all the objects and word for word the story the Psychologist made up - I was tempted to put her straight on a few "holes" in her story but resisted Slight smile

She made it easy for me, because I had just driven for over an hour to get there and I had travelling on the brain. I was allowed to pick my objects from the bag containing two rubber bands, a small 9 of hearts playing card, a maroon toy car, red spiky rubber ball, lolly stick,green wooden cube and a white card disc. 

Of course I took the car and square immediately and said a man leaves his house, drives down a road (Lolly stick) and as he goes around the roundabout (white card disc) forgot his spiky ball and returns home to get it - the end. The Psychologist said I did better than most. 

BUT if she had given me say the cube, rubber bands, ball, disc and playing card to make a story -  I would not have had a clue what to say ?? And this has bothered me ever since.

Next session is with my wife and I on the 13th Aug, where my wife will be interviewed for an hour and me for 2 hours. Then the two Psychologist's will confer and give a diagnosis or not?

Trouble is my wife doesn't believe I have ASD, but says I have changed since the Psychiatrist said he was 95% sure I had Aspergers. yet when we both took the AAA  test, and we both score really highly. My wife thinks that she could be on the spectrum (we think her father definitely was) but is happy to live with it.

God know what I will do if they say I don't have ASD - I did have an initial session to determine whether it was worth having the full assessment (costing > £1500) and I was told it was definitely worth proceeding, if I thought it would help me. 

Now I'm not so sure what to think :(

Children
No Data