Assessment at 50

Hi

I am 50 , I have just been referred for an assessment by my GP: has anyone elase had an assessment as an adult.

Parents
  • I have, and I do not regret it.  I now have the missing pages from my instruction book.

But, there is very little for adults however it may be that your best support is your own mind and intelligence and with an assessment you will have the information.

WHat you do with the information is entirely your decision.

• I have, and I do not regret it.  I now have the missing pages from my instruction book.

But, there is very little for adults however it may be that your best support is your own mind and intelligence and with an assessment you will have the information.

WHat you do with the information is entirely your decision.

Children
  • Very concise, and very relevant. I would also add that our imaginations often need liberating, after year's of just doing what what was required by the current system, and continually putting on a brave face just to survive.

It isn't inconceivable that one day we will wake up to find that the majority of people globally are unsuited to the current monetarist mess. The 'neurodiverse' numbers explosion in the last few years seems to be an indication that our current economic regime is now fast becoming unsustainable. Are we going to invest in real human lives, or in luxury castles for the few in the sky? Something that Boris, Nigel, the two Jeremies, the multinationals, climate deniers, populists and robotics urgently need to take on board is that there are now so many precarious people globally, that however THEY decide to run the global economy in the next few years, WE are never again just going to sit back and let THEM get on with it. We simply can not afford this imposed lifestyle. Now, we can either be allowed to assert our ideas constructively, or things will inevitably take a violent and reactionary turn. (And it isn't that easy, right now, to keep hope alive.)

I have spent years trying to conform to a system that on one hand labels me as useless, and on the other hand profitably and cynically exploits my desire to constantly prove my usefulness. But this hasn't left me feeling like I was on the wrong planet. (It is perhaps our supposed betters who might eventually favor the highly dubious pleasures of life on another exclusive planet. The rest of us have no other option but to remain on this one.) If anything, I would say that I have a lot of things in common with diverse people who still favor some traditional common sense; but see no reason why we can not adapt and allow some of our more traditional human values to endure into the future.

Sorry to place this issue in a political perspective, but I have been thinking for years that it is very necessary to once again say these things. The time for blind obedience to our decrepid political system is definitely over. This is actually a social perspective. The irony of 'high' society preaching the doctrine that there is no such thing as society! There are some things in the UK that still work, and these still appear to have a strong element of society; and can still appeal to people of a wide range of opinions. So more power to the elbow of support groups I would say. Try to support others, and they will usually try to support you. And diversity makes our lives more interesting, I have found.