Assessment at 50

Hi

I am 50 , I have just been referred for an assessment by my GP: has anyone elase had an assessment as an adult.

Parents
  • Yes, assessed and diagnosed aged 30.

It has helped me understand myself and feel more at peace with the difficulties I experience. As for work, I wouldn't advise disclosing to those you work with directly. You could always go through the HR/occupational health process so that your diagnosis is recorded officially but I wouldn't recommend telling anyone else actually... No one knows about my diagnosis and I'm going to keep it that way. Only my parents as they were interviewed as part of my assessment and my medical team. Not that I think anyone should be ashamed of their diagnosis but I have been in groups with other autistic people and their experience of telling people hasn't been helpful. Of course, everyone will have a different experience but telling others is potentially a big risk.

• Yes, assessed and diagnosed aged 30.

It has helped me understand myself and feel more at peace with the difficulties I experience. As for work, I wouldn't advise disclosing to those you work with directly. You could always go through the HR/occupational health process so that your diagnosis is recorded officially but I wouldn't recommend telling anyone else actually... No one knows about my diagnosis and I'm going to keep it that way. Only my parents as they were interviewed as part of my assessment and my medical team. Not that I think anyone should be ashamed of their diagnosis but I have been in groups with other autistic people and their experience of telling people hasn't been helpful. Of course, everyone will have a different experience but telling others is potentially a big risk.

Children
No Data