Accessing NHS Medical Records

I have asked my GP surgery to give me access to my NHS medical records back to childhood. This is an attempt to find something from them which will prove to be the 'hard' documentary evidence of early autism that my autism assessor is demanding from me.

Despite the obstructive attitude of the GP's Receptionist I managed to fill in a form at the GP surgery, and was told it would be sent on to their main branch for processing. I won't be able to follow it up until tomorrow so I am still waiting....

My questions are:

How long does this usually take in reality (ie: to actually get to see the records)?

Will I need some sort of reference book to decode the medical jargon in the records, and if so what can I use? Or is it written in plain English?

What kind of thing will I be looking for with relevance to autism?

Do NHS autism assessors already look at your full health records? My assessor previously told me she'd seen my care records, but during out first assessment meeting I could tell she didn't know all about my medical conditions at all, (or did she?)

Would be grateful for any insight of previous experience with this, especially with regard to what is relevant to signs of autism.

Thanks.

Parents
  • Struck gold  again from the medical records

2.4.73 diagnosis chronic serious otitis media 

1973 bilateral myringotomty

1974 bilateral myringotomty 

(This is a minor procedure making a tiny incision in each eardrum to release fluid.)

Upon Googling 'autism earache' I discover:

"Children with Austism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are twice as likely to experience complications from ear infections, according to a new study published online in the Journal of Autism Developmental Disorders, “Otitis Media and Related Complications Among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders,” Jan. 6, 2016. Uniformed Services University"

And 

"The frequency of ear infections, ear tube drainage, and deafness was examined through parental reports in autistic and yoke-matched, normal children. For the autistic group these difficulties were additionally examined as a function of the children's cognitive and communication abilities, verbal versus nonverbal status, sex, and degree of autistic symptomatology. Autistic children had a greater incidence of ear infections than matched normal peers. Lower-functioning children had an earlier onset of ear infections than their higher-functioning autistic peers. Ear infections coexisted with low-set ears, and with a higher autistic symptomatology score. The findings are discussed in terms of greater CNS vulnerability in the autistic children, which is likely present since embryogenesis. The possible adverse consequences of intermittent hearing loss on language, cognitive, and socioaffective development are considered. 1987 NCBI"

The word 'deafness' is used in my notes but I just don't remember ever having lost my hearing even temporarily. 

This along with the accident from spinning in circles I considered earlier today are actually what I have been looking for. I think it would be worth completing the set by finding the notes from birth to18 months as well.

I am a proper genius Owl

• Struck gold  again from the medical records

2.4.73 diagnosis chronic serious otitis media 

1973 bilateral myringotomty

1974 bilateral myringotomty 

(This is a minor procedure making a tiny incision in each eardrum to release fluid.)

Upon Googling 'autism earache' I discover:

"Children with Austism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are twice as likely to experience complications from ear infections, according to a new study published online in the Journal of Autism Developmental Disorders, “Otitis Media and Related Complications Among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders,” Jan. 6, 2016. Uniformed Services University"

And 

"The frequency of ear infections, ear tube drainage, and deafness was examined through parental reports in autistic and yoke-matched, normal children. For the autistic group these difficulties were additionally examined as a function of the children's cognitive and communication abilities, verbal versus nonverbal status, sex, and degree of autistic symptomatology. Autistic children had a greater incidence of ear infections than matched normal peers. Lower-functioning children had an earlier onset of ear infections than their higher-functioning autistic peers. Ear infections coexisted with low-set ears, and with a higher autistic symptomatology score. The findings are discussed in terms of greater CNS vulnerability in the autistic children, which is likely present since embryogenesis. The possible adverse consequences of intermittent hearing loss on language, cognitive, and socioaffective development are considered. 1987 NCBI"

The word 'deafness' is used in my notes but I just don't remember ever having lost my hearing even temporarily. 

This along with the accident from spinning in circles I considered earlier today are actually what I have been looking for. I think it would be worth completing the set by finding the notes from birth to18 months as well.

I am a proper genius Owl

Children
  • This is fascinating Esmeralda as I always suffered with ear problems aswell as a child. Perforated eardrums fluid coming out and I remember the pain was excruciating as a child also. Had my adenoids removed at age 6 because they thought this was one of the reasons for constant ear infections and I remember my mum telling me they said they were abnormally big pushing against tubes. Never stopped me getting more ear infections though and still suffered right upto secondary school.

I find it amazing you found this information as I am diagnosed ASC and also suffered with my ears bit of a coincidence.