Accessing NHS Medical Records

I have asked my GP surgery to give me access to my NHS medical records back to childhood. This is an attempt to find something from them which will prove to be the 'hard' documentary evidence of early autism that my autism assessor is demanding from me.

Despite the obstructive attitude of the GP's Receptionist I managed to fill in a form at the GP surgery, and was told it would be sent on to their main branch for processing. I won't be able to follow it up until tomorrow so I am still waiting....

My questions are:

How long does this usually take in reality (ie: to actually get to see the records)?

Will I need some sort of reference book to decode the medical jargon in the records, and if so what can I use? Or is it written in plain English?

What kind of thing will I be looking for with relevance to autism?

Do NHS autism assessors already look at your full health records? My assessor previously told me she'd seen my care records, but during out first assessment meeting I could tell she didn't know all about my medical conditions at all, (or did she?)

Would be grateful for any insight of previous experience with this, especially with regard to what is relevant to signs of autism.

Thanks.

Parents
  • Aha! Re-reading my medical notes just now. Remembered how I got an injury to my mouth when I was 2 years old. It needed stitches so there is a note. I was whirling round and round like a dervish quite feverishly. Ignored warnings to stop because it was dangerous. Lost my balance and hit my mouth on the furniture. Does  that sound autistic or not? Still have the scar

• Do you enjoy spinning in circles is a question on the rdos test so there must be some significance. 

• Is it really? That's very interesting. Thanks Thumbsup

• I was watching the washing machine just the other day. Didn't realise until my partner spoke to me and I jumped as I had been in a trance of sorts.  

Most kids like to spin and watch  spinning things like windmills to some extent, that's true. So how much counts as autistic I  am not sure. 

• I found out off my relative that knew me in childhood that instead of watching TV I would sit and watch a full spin cycle of the washing machine! Haha I'm sorry but if my son or daughter was doing that I would of been thinking something was wrong.

On the other hand years and years ago not many people had heard of Autism.

To be honest I too remember when as a child spinning around looking at the floor then falling over but I thought this was normal?

• I found out off my relative that knew me in childhood that instead of watching TV I would sit and watch a full spin cycle of the washing machine! Haha I'm sorry but if my son or daughter was doing that I would of been thinking something was wrong.

On the other hand years and years ago not many people had heard of Autism.

To be honest I too remember when as a child spinning around looking at the floor then falling over but I thought this was normal?

Children
  • I was watching the washing machine just the other day. Didn't realise until my partner spoke to me and I jumped as I had been in a trance of sorts.  

Most kids like to spin and watch  spinning things like windmills to some extent, that's true. So how much counts as autistic I  am not sure.