Shopping trip too much

I'm just overloaded right now. Our nearest pharmacy is in a supermarket that's just been done up. New layout, louder, brighter lights. I just went alone to get medicine for my son and bandages.

On looking for bandages accidentally walk into an old man. Apologised, I'm usually not too bad for bumping into people and special awareness usually just walk into objects but I was already overwhelmed.

I said oh I'm so sorry to this old guy and his response was to tell at me and call me names

I was in shock. A few minutes I decided to catch up with him and say it's not okay to tell at someone like that your language is disgusting and I had apologised yet your equally to blame. But he yelled more so I walked off and took a pic of him on my phone. I stupidly put a pic of the man on our local site and described that we both walked into each other and he had yelled abuse. (This sites usually full of youngsters doing x y and z and oh their so bad) but everyone thought an old man being aggressive was hilarious. I just dont understand the world I really dont. I'm in floods of tears writing this hate people

• You too thanks again plastic

• People's roles were so much better defined in those days - simpler rules, less ambiguity, less stress.

Have a nice afternoon Smiley

• I like that 'supertanker amongst the rowing boats'

• Me too! I'd happily live in that era i think. I watch old films, play old records and have old radio stories on my phone. I'm going to wrap myself up in my 40s bubble now. Thank you all for helping calm me I struggle seeing the big picture even though I try to

• My husband thinks that I see the world differently....them again so do most people. For example i got really upset when fellow allotment holders poured fuel in the soil and buried rubbish! My response was 1 environmental impact and 2 poisoning of food grown. I cant fathom how they poisoned the land. I was told it's under the ground dont worry about it. When i explained about ecosystems and the environment i got told no one thinks like you you have an interesting take on the world

• I'm a huge fan of Doris Day films - light fluff, witty and no stress.  Smiley

• Exactly my point! I see everyone as equal. Age, colour, fame! All equal but apparently this is wrong. 

Theres been lots of people saying the youngsters done this or that but if it's an elderly person its deemed fine. 

From my stressful trip out to get medicine for my boy in an overly stimulating shop I've come home in tears, still keep crying. For one little bump and we were both walking both should have been looking. 

As I've said before I am too nice I do need to toughen up. I moved into my street and a couple actually commented with me moving in it's like the old days again. Apparently i have co.munity spirit. If someone needs help help them (although they have to directly tell me as i dont understand vagueness) if i have spare vegetables I've grown i give them for free, usually with the better neighbours its appreciated. 

I live in 1940s films and stories as that's my thing i go to in stress and to feel calm maybe I'm stuck in the old way of life? Modern TV is too violent and full of the way people act now 

• It's not scarier - it's about being confident and definite in your actions - letting others around you know your intentions early so they can work out a path around you without ending up crashing into each other.  Most people look at the ground so their reaction time is short - they need advanced notice of impending collisions so they can avoid it - be the supertanker among the rowing boats.

• I always am the one to move out of the way of people walking.maybe I need to study body language or make myself look scarier lol.

I once was standing still and a cyclist hit me and swore at me I didnt even see them coming and I got hurt. 

I think I need to toughen up. I am too nice but it's not the world we live in. After today I want to lock myself indoors and watch 1940s films

• You have much to learn, young Padawan   Smiley

• Ah - I've tried that but not sure I made certain to not look forwards & display a "not paying attention" sign. Hmm..... :-)

• It's all about posture and displayed intention - glance forwards, make the destination definite for any impinging paths and walk with head high and not looking forwards - be chatting so you're obviously not paying attention - you're too important for that - everyone else are inferior beings so they will ALWAYS chicken out - or at worst it will be a gentle glancing blow as they deviate from their path at the last second.   They will apologise.    Look like a victim, be a victim. Smiley

• I'm so sorry you had this experience it is never acceptable to be abused by anyone. 

I recently had a nasty experience with an elderly lady, I was waiting for bus which terrifies me anyway only went out as had hospital appointment had my mum and baby with me, Anyway bus drove straight past didn't bother to stop, so I called the office and they instructed the driver to return, when we got on the bus I thanked the driver but was greated with a verbal tirade from several elderly women calling me stupid and ridiculous for making the bus come back. If I had spoken to someone like that I would be thrown off but as they were old it was fine apparently. 

You should never have to get abused 

• Got me mulling over now something that I've noticed - and I also study body language!

When walking through a crowded street side by side with family, and other similar families are coming towards us, it seems like it's *always* me who has to break the pattern and step behind our line to let the other family pass in formation. Occasionally I try to stand firm & stay in our line abreast formation - sometimes it works but sometimes I almost end up bumping in to people & have to give way at the last minute.

• I understand.

I've felt like that myself & I was going to say I can't give a specific example but now I think of it I can (this is one thing that this community is brilliant for - how we can all relate!).

We got dogs a couple of years ago for the first time ever. I insisted on getting a "proper dog" rather than a hamster-sized fur ball (lesson learned now!) and we were complete newbies and went straight to our local field and played ball with the apparently well-trained & mature dog. In come a few other dogs, no problem. But then a small-ish dog comes in on a lead, and ours takes off to say hello but does so by barking quite a lot (not aggressive just boisterous). The owner (rightly, I now understand) suggests that we might want to put ours on a lead. I perceived this relatively polite challenge as an unwanted intrusion of stress into my life and we decide some obedience training is needed. At this point, I'm inwardly calling the other owner all sorts of unpleasant names as a psychological defence against the feelings associated with the fact that I was wrong and he was right.

As it happens we tick on fine with dog on lead for a few months and never see this other dog again, until the day my wife persuades me that ours has settled in and we should let her off the lead again (because if you don't try......), and within 10 minutes who comes into the field? Yep, the little dog on a lead with what I now consider as a pernickety owner (but in reality I know he's right) and he shouts "Sort your dog out mate!" across the field when ours goes again to say hello. So there and then in my mind I resolved never, ever, to let the dog off lead again as it's just not worth it and you can never be 100.00000% sure (which is my requirement for avoiding anxiety). 

I also got not exactly yelled at but "stage whispered at" by an older guy in a car park once when I accidentally misinterpreted the very small and not-to-regulations "no entry" sign (it was square and blue which means "do this" not "don't do this") and went round a car park the wrong way and ended up getting into a space that he had in mind. I ruminated about this for weeks. In the moment I was suppressing an urge - completely out of character for me- to ask him if he wanted to fight over it! (rhetorically, implying "sorry - no point getting aggressive about it!" - but that's not how it would have come across!).

So I understand your impulse to put the photo on social media, but I agree with plastic that this probably won't get you the reassurance and support that you need, as you've already found.

Hope that helps - and you've given me food for thought too about whether the incidents I've described are relevant to my diagnosis.  

• That's why I studied body language - so I'm able to know how to make myself highly visible so everyone else can work around me.   Claim your space!

My movements are clear and definite and I'm able to walk into a large crowd and it parts like the Red Sea to let me through.    Other people 'look' and behave like victims so the world crashes into them without seemingly noticing them.

• I genuinely feel bad if I behave like that. I'm guessing I'm rigid on my social rules. Your nice to people, polite. I dont like stepping out of that boundary. I've always struggled with understanding why people find hurting others funny. As small blonde I've had my fair share of men trying to take advantage of my good nature. Women too to be honest. Just get tired :(

• I witness the same bad behaviour all the time.

I'm lucky, I'm a 6' bloke and I'm good and hogging my personal space - and I defend it with my 'Paddington Stare' so people make space for me.

• I had to go unfortunately but I usually avoid that store. We dont live in a very nice area at all. This kind of behaviour is normal. O struggle to understand how people are like that. I once tore my knee ligaments it jammed my knee from moving....I had an elderly person push me out of the way as I held onto a rail to walk in the doctors as I couldnt bend my knee at all. After my OP I was standing in queue for knee physio an elderly person ran me over in their mobility scooter I was pushed back and my knee went under the wheels no sorry or anything I was in excruciating pain I didnt yell abuse it's not my nature to

• I totally agree with you - I am sickened by the general level of what in now 'normal' behaviour - but that same poor behaviour and lack of boundaries and common sense is the same mentality that causes vigilantes.

I go shopping either very early or very late to avoid crowds and other people in general.