Shopping trip too much

I'm just overloaded right now. Our nearest pharmacy is in a supermarket that's just been done up. New layout, louder, brighter lights. I just went alone to get medicine for my son and bandages.

On looking for bandages accidentally walk into an old man. Apologised, I'm usually not too bad for bumping into people and special awareness usually just walk into objects but I was already overwhelmed.

I said oh I'm so sorry to this old guy and his response was to tell at me and call me names

I was in shock. A few minutes I decided to catch up with him and say it's not okay to tell at someone like that your language is disgusting and I had apologised yet your equally to blame. But he yelled more so I walked off and took a pic of him on my phone. I stupidly put a pic of the man on our local site and described that we both walked into each other and he had yelled abuse. (This sites usually full of youngsters doing x y and z and oh their so bad) but everyone thought an old man being aggressive was hilarious. I just dont understand the world I really dont. I'm in floods of tears writing this hate people

Parents
  • I understand your stress - but I also think you've grossly overstepped the mark by publicly shaming him just because of your state of mind.   You have no idea if the old man has MH or physical problems and you bumping into may have caused him some problems - and being rude is his venting.

I really think you should take the picture down.   You might end up causing extreme reactions from locals against this bloke from idiots being 'white knights' on your behalf.

• All I see in the world is people stepping on each other for their own satisfaction and I really struggle to understand why

• I totally agree with you - I am sickened by the general level of what in now 'normal' behaviour - but that same poor behaviour and lack of boundaries and common sense is the same mentality that causes vigilantes.

I go shopping either very early or very late to avoid crowds and other people in general.  

• I totally agree with you - I am sickened by the general level of what in now 'normal' behaviour - but that same poor behaviour and lack of boundaries and common sense is the same mentality that causes vigilantes.

I go shopping either very early or very late to avoid crowds and other people in general.  

Children
  • I like that 'supertanker amongst the rowing boats'

• It's not scarier - it's about being confident and definite in your actions - letting others around you know your intentions early so they can work out a path around you without ending up crashing into each other.  Most people look at the ground so their reaction time is short - they need advanced notice of impending collisions so they can avoid it - be the supertanker among the rowing boats.

• I always am the one to move out of the way of people walking.maybe I need to study body language or make myself look scarier lol.

I once was standing still and a cyclist hit me and swore at me I didnt even see them coming and I got hurt. 

I think I need to toughen up. I am too nice but it's not the world we live in. After today I want to lock myself indoors and watch 1940s films

• You have much to learn, young Padawan   Smiley

• Ah - I've tried that but not sure I made certain to not look forwards & display a "not paying attention" sign. Hmm..... :-)

• It's all about posture and displayed intention - glance forwards, make the destination definite for any impinging paths and walk with head high and not looking forwards - be chatting so you're obviously not paying attention - you're too important for that - everyone else are inferior beings so they will ALWAYS chicken out - or at worst it will be a gentle glancing blow as they deviate from their path at the last second.   They will apologise.    Look like a victim, be a victim. Smiley

• Got me mulling over now something that I've noticed - and I also study body language!

When walking through a crowded street side by side with family, and other similar families are coming towards us, it seems like it's *always* me who has to break the pattern and step behind our line to let the other family pass in formation. Occasionally I try to stand firm & stay in our line abreast formation - sometimes it works but sometimes I almost end up bumping in to people & have to give way at the last minute.

• That's why I studied body language - so I'm able to know how to make myself highly visible so everyone else can work around me.   Claim your space!

My movements are clear and definite and I'm able to walk into a large crowd and it parts like the Red Sea to let me through.    Other people 'look' and behave like victims so the world crashes into them without seemingly noticing them.

• I genuinely feel bad if I behave like that. I'm guessing I'm rigid on my social rules. Your nice to people, polite. I dont like stepping out of that boundary. I've always struggled with understanding why people find hurting others funny. As small blonde I've had my fair share of men trying to take advantage of my good nature. Women too to be honest. Just get tired :(

• I witness the same bad behaviour all the time.

I'm lucky, I'm a 6' bloke and I'm good and hogging my personal space - and I defend it with my 'Paddington Stare' so people make space for me.

• I had to go unfortunately but I usually avoid that store. We dont live in a very nice area at all. This kind of behaviour is normal. O struggle to understand how people are like that. I once tore my knee ligaments it jammed my knee from moving....I had an elderly person push me out of the way as I held onto a rail to walk in the doctors as I couldnt bend my knee at all. After my OP I was standing in queue for knee physio an elderly person ran me over in their mobility scooter I was pushed back and my knee went under the wheels no sorry or anything I was in excruciating pain I didnt yell abuse it's not my nature to