Why do flats never seem to have decent soundproofing?

Is it even possible to soundproof effectively so you can't hear someone above you or below you?

I can hear the man in the flat beneath me banging doors and moving things around, it gets on my nerves.

In another flat I had I could hear when the man downstairs coughed. Yes, really, coughed! I noticed he did it sometimes when I was walking around the flat quite a bit, doing chores.

Parents
  • It's typically down to costs for the contractor undertaking the works and/or the owner. Soundproofing one the of those items in a build which gets overlooks and cut down to better improve profit margins.

For someone looking to soundproof their own property, it's not as difficult as you would think. With products available on the market, there are plenty of solutions to assist of which allow for DIY installations, helping you keep your outlay to a minimum.

In the instance you're looking for soundproofing for floors, you have two core options an underlay or overlay. Overlay boards typically go over your joists (making for a more difficult install) whereas underlays can be placed over your floorboards (obviously enabling a quicker and easier install). Once you have decided on which option (personally I am a believer underlays can solve 9/10 situations for floors) it's the case on what your floor finish is. Carpets are easier, as they allow for soundproofing underlays to be placed straight underneath, however with laminate or tiles, a plywood or MDF is required.

www.acuphon.co.uk/ have these products but a team or technical experts who have been in the soundproofing industry for 30+ years to assist and help you with your situation.

• It's typically down to costs for the contractor undertaking the works and/or the owner. Soundproofing one the of those items in a build which gets overlooks and cut down to better improve profit margins.

For someone looking to soundproof their own property, it's not as difficult as you would think. With products available on the market, there are plenty of solutions to assist of which allow for DIY installations, helping you keep your outlay to a minimum.

In the instance you're looking for soundproofing for floors, you have two core options an underlay or overlay. Overlay boards typically go over your joists (making for a more difficult install) whereas underlays can be placed over your floorboards (obviously enabling a quicker and easier install). Once you have decided on which option (personally I am a believer underlays can solve 9/10 situations for floors) it's the case on what your floor finish is. Carpets are easier, as they allow for soundproofing underlays to be placed straight underneath, however with laminate or tiles, a plywood or MDF is required.

www.acuphon.co.uk/ have these products but a team or technical experts who have been in the soundproofing industry for 30+ years to assist and help you with your situation.

Children
No Data