Disclosing potential ASD diagnosis at work

Hello all. I’m new here and hoped someone may be able to help me, or whether anyone has experience with this. I have searched the forum but couldn’t find anything quite like the issue I have. 

I have been in continuous employment at one company for the last 7 years. I am a female in my 30s. 

I am currently going through the autism diagnostic process with the NHS. I have completed Stage 1 and have been invited back for Stage 2, though I don’t have a date for this yet. 

I do intend to tell work if a diagnosis is confirmed, however something has come up and I may need to disclose this earlier than anticipated. 

Has anyone been in a situation like this before? Is it worth telling them even though I don’t know if it will be confirmed?

Parents
  • Hi yes and like others have said I disclosed at work within weeks of my diagnosis, the one thing I did wrong was I did it verbally and did not have it in print.

The one thing I would say is get it in print either a paper copy or an email, I have found this out from bitter experience. I am currently and have been for the last year in a big black hole with my employer, I have been severely disciplined for something that should have been no more than a slap on the wrist, the outcome was I was moved from my area of work and put in a completely different role which was totally unsuitable for me, OH are involved and have been very supportive my managers have 3 reports all stating the area I have been placed is unsuitable for me in relation to my AS, when I tried to remind the managers that I had disclosed my AS 4 years previously they denied all knowledge. I am currently off sick and my life has been made absolute hell by management.

So what ever you decide to do make sure you have put it in print then at least if you need to refer to it at a later date you have evidence that they were made aware. Good luck in whatever you decide to do and welcome to the site...

• Hi yes and like others have said I disclosed at work within weeks of my diagnosis, the one thing I did wrong was I did it verbally and did not have it in print.

The one thing I would say is get it in print either a paper copy or an email, I have found this out from bitter experience. I am currently and have been for the last year in a big black hole with my employer, I have been severely disciplined for something that should have been no more than a slap on the wrist, the outcome was I was moved from my area of work and put in a completely different role which was totally unsuitable for me, OH are involved and have been very supportive my managers have 3 reports all stating the area I have been placed is unsuitable for me in relation to my AS, when I tried to remind the managers that I had disclosed my AS 4 years previously they denied all knowledge. I am currently off sick and my life has been made absolute hell by management.

So what ever you decide to do make sure you have put it in print then at least if you need to refer to it at a later date you have evidence that they were made aware. Good luck in whatever you decide to do and welcome to the site...

Children
No Data