Disclosing potential ASD diagnosis at work

Hello all. I’m new here and hoped someone may be able to help me, or whether anyone has experience with this. I have searched the forum but couldn’t find anything quite like the issue I have. 

I have been in continuous employment at one company for the last 7 years. I am a female in my 30s. 

I am currently going through the autism diagnostic process with the NHS. I have completed Stage 1 and have been invited back for Stage 2, though I don’t have a date for this yet. 

I do intend to tell work if a diagnosis is confirmed, however something has come up and I may need to disclose this earlier than anticipated. 

Has anyone been in a situation like this before? Is it worth telling them even though I don’t know if it will be confirmed?

Parents
  • What type of relationship do you have with those you would be disclosing to? I'm 30s female and undiagnosed. Had been iff 4 weeks with bad anxiety. Last week at a sickness support meeting I said to my mgr "I identify with many traits on the spectrum". She was fine and said it doesn't change what she thinks of me or my work. It depends what culture you have at work. I felt I needed to say something cos I feel possible AS has contributed to why I have been off. If you think it'll help even though you don't have a formal diagnosis yet and you know it'll be taken well then I would do it. The fact you are going through with a diagnosis, I think, means you are not typical.  Even if it comes back as non AS,  there must be something there for you to have been referred in the first place.

• What type of relationship do you have with those you would be disclosing to? I'm 30s female and undiagnosed. Had been iff 4 weeks with bad anxiety. Last week at a sickness support meeting I said to my mgr "I identify with many traits on the spectrum". She was fine and said it doesn't change what she thinks of me or my work. It depends what culture you have at work. I felt I needed to say something cos I feel possible AS has contributed to why I have been off. If you think it'll help even though you don't have a formal diagnosis yet and you know it'll be taken well then I would do it. The fact you are going through with a diagnosis, I think, means you are not typical.  Even if it comes back as non AS,  there must be something there for you to have been referred in the first place.

Children
  • I think my manager would be ok with it as he has been quite helpful when I have ‘lost it’ at work in the past. Sometimes I think he knows. Probably just got used to my quirks. 

Other managers would be more difficult to judge, plus the other members on my team facing redundancy seem to have better people skills and don’t mind making small talk on the phone. Something I really struggle with.

I think I have decided not to tell them for now. I don’t want to give them ammunition and from reading other stories here that’s what could happen.