Are you good at identifying emotions/feelings within yourself?

Example 1: At my last psych appointment the pdoc said I looked happy. I didn't think I was.

Example 2: Was recently seen at main hospital emergency department  because of chest pains. Tests were ok, but BP was higher than normal . Had to go for follow up the next day . Doctor said it had been  raised because I was anxious. Apparently my pulse rate was fast.  I hadn't noticed I was anxious.

I don't think it happens all the time ie I sometimes know when I'm anxious etc .

Parents Reply Children
  • Ah yes, me too Smiley I have a meditation app and one of the exercises asks me to 'label' what I'm feeling - I always come up with 'anxious' . . .

• That seems to be the horrible irony; when you can't identify feelings generally, the ones that you *can* identify seem to be anxiety, frustration & anger.

For me at the moment, I've worked on my thinking processes so that I don't catastrophize (it works mostly) so now when I get anxious all I notice is that my legs go cold and fizzy. Most of the time I seem to have no feelings at all except fear and a sense of pointlessness.