Anyone interested in motorbikes?

I'm fairly new here and newly diagnosed with ASD. Anyway, motorbikes are one of my interests, and, well, it might be a long shot,  I was wondering if anyone else here is into them too. I don't know anyone else IRL who shares this enthusiasm. It'd be nice to hear from anyone else who is interested.

Parents
  • I'm interested in tons of subjects. But it's a rare subject that i am into in terms of activity rather than theory.  So i have casual interest in motorbikes that goes so far as wishlisting this great book on the tt and watching yt clips of the moto gp. All this stems from one kid giving me a ride on his back  of his motorbike when i was 16.  Never ridden a bike in my life despite having the desire too.  Desire is a funny one.  I'm not sure i'd cope with the sensory nature of it all. Maybe i'd find it extra thrilling. 

• I really think the whole biking experience depends on where you live-  Central London - death-wish., Short rural commute - probably very nice

• I've just realised, motorcycling is quite the Autistic experience!

You are far more vulnerable than most other road users, yet they envy us our power. And unless prevented, we get there quicker!

Reply Children
  • If you are still riding, my "cone of hatred" post, might be useful to you.. 

More power also seems to help, as if you are sitting on 100HP, you can get overtakes done much faster. (You are only vulnerable to white van man when he is near you, more power makes those times shorter!)

And tyres, always fit good quality, and de-rate your handling expectations if they get old or close to the legal limit. I had yokohamas on an RS250 once which were the stickiest tyres I ever owned until they got close to the wear limit and I found myself falling off at my favourite low and slow bends.

I fell off a lot when I was a kid, and tyre adhesion changing over time is a pernicious killer. You don't want to find out that you've an age related 25% reduction in adhesion when doing a maximum braking effort to avoid an idiot who pulled across your path, 'cos if you do, (and I know) it ruins your leathers. I found that having done some gymnastics and judo in my youth prepared me very well for the brief sensation of flying, and I was able to convert my landings into a fast "forwards roll" on occasion, which presumably is why I didn't break any bones. Rural riding means a far greater chance of crap on the road, tractors pulling out of fields spilling diesel as they go etc. 

But above all, and I've interviewed a lot of mates who hurt themselves in accidents, if you know you are "going in" due to a surprise situation, remember this (as it vastly reduces the chance of you getting maimed or killed), always, always, keep looking for the way out and work the problem. Hitting that car in the wing, means you get to fly over the bonnet, and if you land right, walk off. Whereas a foot to the left and you gonna hit something real hard and leave the scene in an ambulance. 

Everyone thought I was just a young idiot (including me) but it turns out I was doing life saving research! These tips will serve any motorcylist well.

• yes i have been prevented by a white van trying to take me off on M6 England at 60 mph.

• Crash helmets are good isolation pods.  Smiley