Are you an autistic teacher?

I would like to know if there are any autistic teachers here.

I would like to know...

How has autism had an impact on your teaching (in and out of the classroom ....positive and negative)

How has the job affected your autistic life? Im thinking here specifically in terms of the non-classroom elements of the job. For example how does the paperwork and planning affect you at home and your routines? How do you cope with the stresses of the job and a changing environment? How does it impact on your worklife balance as an autistic person? Do you have many meltdowns shutdowns or burnout episodes? Do you have any sensory problems at work such as information or social overload? How do you cope with these?

Why did you decide to take up the profession and did you know you were autistic before you started teaching?

What do you enjoy most about your job?

I am self-diagnosed and can relate to many aspects of autism throughout my life. Since self realisation i am able to use coping strategies  Im an adult tutor and currently this is the only teaching job ive had so i cant compare with other teaching roles. I would be interested to know how much of my job is general stress and how much could be down to being potentially autistic which compounds any stress. But i also would like to know your positive stories and experience! 

Parents
  • I am a Social Work Practice Teacher, meaning that I teach students on BA and MSc Social Work courses.

Things are a bit hectic this time of the year with students' portfolios to mark. and

I like being able to "think outside the box " and introduce my students to ideas from my earlier career as an NHS manager and my OU degree in public administration and psychology.  I really enjoy working with the more able students, who I can stretch. At university level it is not so much teaching as facilitating learning.

• I am a Social Work Practice Teacher, meaning that I teach students on BA and MSc Social Work courses.

Things are a bit hectic this time of the year with students' portfolios to mark. and

I like being able to "think outside the box " and introduce my students to ideas from my earlier career as an NHS manager and my OU degree in public administration and psychology.  I really enjoy working with the more able students, who I can stretch. At university level it is not so much teaching as facilitating learning.

Children
No Data