I hate the term "neurotypical "

I've always had a lesion in my brain and I've had epilepsy for as long as I can remember, so I was pretty neuro atypical long before I got this autism diagnosis as an adult just one or two years ago. I don't think you can say that someone you never met and know nothing about is "neurotypical" It's just a complete assumption and it's rude. 

Parents
  • Hi Good for you guess, I'm late to the thread, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents and say that I totally agree with you on this. I don't like the term 'neurotypical' at all - people without autism / ADHD / dyslexia etc are every bit as diverse as us. The irony is that the way I've often heard the word used (e.g. on Twitter) makes me think of an 'us and them' dichotomy, yet neurodiversity as a movement should be tying us all together, not pushing us further apart. 

• Hi Good for you guess, I'm late to the thread, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents and say that I totally agree with you on this. I don't like the term 'neurotypical' at all - people without autism / ADHD / dyslexia etc are every bit as diverse as us. The irony is that the way I've often heard the word used (e.g. on Twitter) makes me think of an 'us and them' dichotomy, yet neurodiversity as a movement should be tying us all together, not pushing us further apart. 

Children
No Data