Wait time to hear something after GP referral

Hi all, does anyone know roughly how long it might take from when my GP referred me to when I hear something? Am I correct in assuming that there should be some kind of letter acknowledging the referral at some point? I know I'm probably being a bit impatient seeing as according to the receptionist at the GP surgery my referral was sent on the 18th of Jan but I have others (Shaw Trust - I've been on the Work and Health Programme since March 2018 and the ASD penny only dropped for me in November after struggling all year) that are encouraging me to keep chasing up at my GP where I am and I really don't want to make a nuisance of myself. I was hoping people might share how long they had to wait as an adult before they had some kind of initial confirmation after their GP had sent their referral as I'm finding this being in limbo stage quite difficult.

Thanks for reading

Parents
  • I had my screening appointment a month ago, they have agreed that I need a referral for full assessment. I went to see my doctor in November last year, initially I was told that I was too “normal” looking and I may not get an appointment due to cost. However he said, if I still feel I need an appointment to email him. 

I emailed him in December and I was pretty much on their back fo three weeks. In the end I had to go sick from work due to the anxiety and stress. 

I’m now just waiting for the full assessment. 

I would keep on at your GP and if no luck go through your MP. 

• I had my screening appointment a month ago, they have agreed that I need a referral for full assessment. I went to see my doctor in November last year, initially I was told that I was too “normal” looking and I may not get an appointment due to cost. However he said, if I still feel I need an appointment to email him. 

I emailed him in December and I was pretty much on their back fo three weeks. In the end I had to go sick from work due to the anxiety and stress. 

I’m now just waiting for the full assessment. 

I would keep on at your GP and if no luck go through your MP. 

Children
  • i  also have ADHD and need to be referred to the ADHD clinic for an assessment-I was informed yesterday that I may have to wait another year before that happens which O find unacceptable, There is one possible way which my general state of mind and everyday living experience could be helped and I am expected to wait around like an idiot for all that time and await their judgement on what would be the best medication I am 60 and would like to start living a more manageable life before I get too old to lead it.

Therefore, if I were you  I'd check to see now if you have any other associated conditions now which may require an assessment before a treatment could be prescribed, everything takes so long it is maddening..