Adult employment in Sheffield, England

Hi.

I've been trying for the last 20 odd years to get a part time job in retail or admin, but been having problems, every time I declare that I'm disabled and have Asperger's, I get told no, despite the illegality of outright discrimination.

Anyway I applied for 2 jobs in the Meadowhall Centre this week, but haven't heard from either, and I recently signed up to a local disability employment Charity called Aspire Sheffield which has an eBay shop and does placements for people with disabilities

The other problem is that II#m 43 this year so my age is against me.

Does anyone else have these problems?

Parents
  • Hello,

Im in the process of starting a recruitment agency primarily for autistic individuals and I'm currently doing research to understand the struggles people face when trying to get into employment. Id really love to hear more about your experience gaining employment if you would be able to share this. Send me a message and we can talk further.

• The major problem is that as soon as I declare my Asperger's, my application goes into a black hole and is not acknowledged, it's supposed to be illegal in the UK to discriminate, but under the 2010 Equality Act, if I feel I've been discriminated against, the onus is on ME to prove it in Court, against big companies, I have neither the money or  patience to do it.

• How do you know it’s because of AS and that it doesn’t go into the black hole with all the other hundreds of applicants because they got the person they wanted? 

Reply Children
No Data