Adult employment in Sheffield, England

Hi.

I've been trying for the last 20 odd years to get a part time job in retail or admin, but been having problems, every time I declare that I'm disabled and have Asperger's, I get told no, despite the illegality of outright discrimination.

Anyway I applied for 2 jobs in the Meadowhall Centre this week, but haven't heard from either, and I recently signed up to a local disability employment Charity called Aspire Sheffield which has an eBay shop and does placements for people with disabilities

The other problem is that II#m 43 this year so my age is against me.

Does anyone else have these problems?

Parents
  • I'm 60 in May and have been offered three jobs in the last year alone.  I don't have any special set of skills, though I've worked in the care sector for many years.

Don't let your age be a barrier. 

As others have suggested, could you start off by doing voluntary work, maybe?  A charity shop, a library, a hospice?  I have a friend who hasn't worked for a number of years (ill-health), but she's done voluntary reception work for a hospice and a homeless charity.  It's all stuff that can go onto a CV.

I did some voluntary  work in my local library once,  when I was on long-term sick leave.  I  was a 'computer buddy', showing  people the  basics of using a computer.  Most people were retired and wanted to 'catch up'.  A lot of them just wanted to find out about the internet or set up an email account so that they could keep in touch that way with their families.

• I'm 60 in May and have been offered three jobs in the last year alone.  I don't have any special set of skills, though I've worked in the care sector for many years.

Don't let your age be a barrier. 

As others have suggested, could you start off by doing voluntary work, maybe?  A charity shop, a library, a hospice?  I have a friend who hasn't worked for a number of years (ill-health), but she's done voluntary reception work for a hospice and a homeless charity.  It's all stuff that can go onto a CV.

I did some voluntary  work in my local library once,  when I was on long-term sick leave.  I  was a 'computer buddy', showing  people the  basics of using a computer.  Most people were retired and wanted to 'catch up'.  A lot of them just wanted to find out about the internet or set up an email account so that they could keep in touch that way with their families.

Children
No Data