Serial obsessions

Anyone else have a series of obsessions that seem to come and go in rotation? 

When I get into a hobby, I throw myself into it fully and pursue it with passion whilst I'm learning at a decent rate. Then when the learning slows down because of the plateau that inevitably comes, I lose interest and move on to something else, often an old hobby.

Because I value efficiency, I'll often sell all of the hobby equipment - sometimes regretting it shortly afterwards.

I've been through astronomy, photography, shortwave radio, ham radio, electronics, hifi, religion, piano playing, guitar playing, motorcycling, advanced motorcycling (to the point where I was qualified to teach this). On the odd occasion that I find myself without a passion I get into a hell of a mess with addictive behaviours too.

Parents
  • Yeah, I fully relate, ~ my solution ~ Ritalin Laughing ~ I’ll tell you how it works out, after it’s had a chance to work it’s magic Blush.

I’m not looking at this as a long term strategy, but as a kind of transitional tool. I’ll be working towards getting back into daily meditation etc, which does much of what the Ritalin does, but right now, I need the Ritalin to get me on track, otherwise I’m just gonna go from one mad obsession, to the other, without a care in the world Rofl lol 

The plan is to get into something that I really enjoy, such as air rifle shooting. Something where I can be part of a team, to help anchor me there. And to make my life long obsession, my favourite, the love of my life, into my main source of income. Then have some sidelines, for example, I love coffee shops and I love being a barista so another goal of mine is to open my own autistic friendly, super healthy whole food coffee shop.  And also, more than anything, I’m practicing living at an easy, effortless, joyful pace of life, one that matches me (not the ADHD head) and to simply enjoy each and every moment as it arises, and arises and arises again and again and again Blush 

My friends husband who is also autistic, is just like this as well. He’s amazing at so many things, but hasn’t been able to settle on any long term. 

p.s. getting to the stage of opening a coffee will take lots of exciting steps, such as completing my barista courses and just generally picking up ideas etc as I go ~ travelling the world visiting autistic friendly coffee shops Laughing working hard at my day jobs and learning how to manage my money so I’m creating revenue for my dream coffee shop. It’s got lots of exciting steps. 

I guess what I’m saying is I took some time out to find out what it was that really inspired me at the core of my being and from that, grew definite goals or rather, dreams, that I feel compelled to carry out, as opposed to just something I fancy doing. Because I’ve realised that if I rely on that, I’ll be forever trying out new things but never really having a definite purpose because I’m always up for learning something new. This way, I still meet that need within me, but it’s aimed towards a definite goal. I realised I love learning, so I made life my education and that way, I’m guaranteed to always be doing what I love, but this time, with a definite purpose. 

• Yeah, I fully relate, ~ my solution ~ Ritalin Laughing ~ I’ll tell you how it works out, after it’s had a chance to work it’s magic Blush.

I’m not looking at this as a long term strategy, but as a kind of transitional tool. I’ll be working towards getting back into daily meditation etc, which does much of what the Ritalin does, but right now, I need the Ritalin to get me on track, otherwise I’m just gonna go from one mad obsession, to the other, without a care in the world Rofl lol 

The plan is to get into something that I really enjoy, such as air rifle shooting. Something where I can be part of a team, to help anchor me there. And to make my life long obsession, my favourite, the love of my life, into my main source of income. Then have some sidelines, for example, I love coffee shops and I love being a barista so another goal of mine is to open my own autistic friendly, super healthy whole food coffee shop.  And also, more than anything, I’m practicing living at an easy, effortless, joyful pace of life, one that matches me (not the ADHD head) and to simply enjoy each and every moment as it arises, and arises and arises again and again and again Blush 

My friends husband who is also autistic, is just like this as well. He’s amazing at so many things, but hasn’t been able to settle on any long term. 

p.s. getting to the stage of opening a coffee will take lots of exciting steps, such as completing my barista courses and just generally picking up ideas etc as I go ~ travelling the world visiting autistic friendly coffee shops Laughing working hard at my day jobs and learning how to manage my money so I’m creating revenue for my dream coffee shop. It’s got lots of exciting steps. 

I guess what I’m saying is I took some time out to find out what it was that really inspired me at the core of my being and from that, grew definite goals or rather, dreams, that I feel compelled to carry out, as opposed to just something I fancy doing. Because I’ve realised that if I rely on that, I’ll be forever trying out new things but never really having a definite purpose because I’m always up for learning something new. This way, I still meet that need within me, but it’s aimed towards a definite goal. I realised I love learning, so I made life my education and that way, I’m guaranteed to always be doing what I love, but this time, with a definite purpose. 

Children
No Data