NHS vs. independent diagnosis - what's the difference?

Hi everyone - looking for a bit of advice here.

I have been on the NHS waiting list for an ASD assessment for about 11 months (Scotland). During this time, the opportunity arose to have a free independent assessment through my university. I agreed to that, and was subsequently diagnosed ASD in October. It was based on a 3 hour interview with a clinical psychologist, and I received a 6 page report detailing her opinion, plus some signposting, e.g. details of my local autism charity. 

As far as I know, I'm still sitting on the NHS waiting list. Do you think I still push for an NHS diagnosis even though I've now had an independent consultation? I'm curious if there are any differences between an independent and NHS diagnosis, e.g. in the assessment procedure, or type(s) of support offered. Also I'm not sure if my independent psychology report is valid proof should I ever want to register as disabled / claim anything, etc?

Lastly, I'd also like to know if an NHS assessment can identify a combination of conditions such as ASD, ADHD and dyspraxia. When I met the psychologist, she said there is a possibility I also have dyspraxia, but she wasn't able to make that diagnosis.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this stuff? Any input would be much appreciated,  

Tintal

Parents
  • How many pages long are your autism spectrum diagnostic reports?

• My report is 9 pages including a title page and references page (recommended reading). I was sent a draft version of the report and given the opportunity to correct inaccuracies and make comments before it was finalised.

I was also provided with a short version of the report to share with employers. This omits sensitive personal information and focuses on the autism assessment, diagnosis and recommendations.

With the psychologist's support I have prepared an employment checklist, and an autism 'passport', to go with my short report. The fact that this has been validated by the psychologist makes me more confident about sharing it with employers. It is not just a wish list - it reflects genuine autism related needs.

During my diagnostic feedback session I was given some useful handouts and links to other resources. I got a letter immediately afterwards confirming my ASD diagnosis. The psychologist also emailed me initial recommendations based on the discussion my husband and I had with her during the session. 

I am still in touch with the psychologist who assessed me - in fact she is now assessing my son I am going to see her for a follow up session in a few weeks when my future plans are a little clearer. 

Discussions on this forum show that are many different ways of getting an ASD diagnosis and no two assessments are the same. There seems to be considerable variation within NHS assessments  - and within privately funded assesssments. 

It is a great shame that for many people access and choice are so limited by long NHS waiting lists and funding considerations. And  although NAS provides a list of private ASD assessors, it is difficult to assess quality and value for money in the absence of any independent system for publishing feedback or ratings.

• My report is 9 pages including a title page and references page (recommended reading). I was sent a draft version of the report and given the opportunity to correct inaccuracies and make comments before it was finalised.

I was also provided with a short version of the report to share with employers. This omits sensitive personal information and focuses on the autism assessment, diagnosis and recommendations.

With the psychologist's support I have prepared an employment checklist, and an autism 'passport', to go with my short report. The fact that this has been validated by the psychologist makes me more confident about sharing it with employers. It is not just a wish list - it reflects genuine autism related needs.

During my diagnostic feedback session I was given some useful handouts and links to other resources. I got a letter immediately afterwards confirming my ASD diagnosis. The psychologist also emailed me initial recommendations based on the discussion my husband and I had with her during the session. 

I am still in touch with the psychologist who assessed me - in fact she is now assessing my son I am going to see her for a follow up session in a few weeks when my future plans are a little clearer. 

Discussions on this forum show that are many different ways of getting an ASD diagnosis and no two assessments are the same. There seems to be considerable variation within NHS assessments  - and within privately funded assesssments. 

It is a great shame that for many people access and choice are so limited by long NHS waiting lists and funding considerations. And  although NAS provides a list of private ASD assessors, it is difficult to assess quality and value for money in the absence of any independent system for publishing feedback or ratings.

Children
No Data