Advice for N.T's

I have to deal with someone who isn't mental health aware and although i have told her im Autistic i don't think she really grasps what that means as she often changes appointment times or turns up at my home un announced and brings different people with her and creates situations that really stress me out and what im looking for is a free booklet or information pack which explains to N.T's how to deal with autistic adults so as to not causes stress etc any help would be appreciated i have looked online but i don't have a printer so im looking for free info type pack i can request to be posted to me please

thanks in anticipation

• how about a disintegrater gun then i could just be done with them and no mess to deal with

Yeah, but where's the fun in that, you only get to do it once.  Much more satisfying to have something that can be used for repeat applications :-).

• What about a Freeze Ray?

The problem with the freeze ray is that you can't explain the error of their ways to them whilst they are convulsing on the floor with the electric shocks.

• No worries, it was a throwaway comment anyway.  One of my favourite tongue in cheek sayings is "Norms - can't live with them, not allowed to shoot them!" :-D.

• how about a disintegrater gun then i could just be done with them and no mess to deal with

• definitely blue ive printed out 3 sheets but im doubting she will take notice

• sorry for not replying windscale been a bit of a crappy few days but i like your idea i have often wanted a taser to zap people who get in my way lol

• Much more effective than handing  her a bunch of info I think Laughing ~ I've often thought of getting one of these and thinking about it now, I could use it with my work coach ~ eveyytime she doesn't listen, she gets a hit! JoyJoyJoy

• she often changes appointment times or turns up at my home un announced and brings different people with her and creates situations that really stress me out

You could just buy a taser :-D

• thanks for that and all the other advice i delved into the NAS website and found some helpful advice copied what was relevant to me and going to library tomorrow get it printed out she can have a copy next time she comes and hopefully take notice of it

• thanks for that sunflower

• Hi Giddy, I’d be inclined to say we are all different and we all deal with things differently, different things affect us all to a greater or lesser extent. The example I’ll use is sensory issues (mine are there but pretty mild in the grand scheme of things) and social gatherings where everyone seems to want to hug and kiss everyone hello. Now some people with ASD would absolutely not be able to tolerate being hugged and kissed on the cheek by one person let alone multiple people. Personally while I’m not a very tactile person and I wouldn’t usually initiate hugging and kissing someone hello, I can tolerate it if I have to.  In fact I was at a social gathering recently with some people who know I’ve recently been diagnosed with AS, people who would have previously hugged and kissed me on the cheek to greet me at a social event, except this time they didn’t. Now I’m sure they’d read somewhere the one box fits all approach that autistic people don’t like to be touched, and I’m sure they thought they were being helpful/understanding/other but actually I felt a bit offended, like now they know I have AS they’re not going to hug and kiss me on the cheek to greet me anymore, how very rude!! Honestly I wish they’d just taken the time to ask me what is good for me rather than just applying a general assumption to me. Anyway the point of all my waffling is that you need to own your own boundaries. How does Autism affect you and what do you need people to do in order to accommodate your autism and not cause you unnecessarily stress.  Otherwise you might find yourself in the same situation as me, having a stereotype applied to you that doesn’t actually fit you. Maybe write it out if you don’t have a printer?

• The NAS has a template for an 'autism passport' which covers lots of relevant issues - my psychologist sent this to me but suggested I might like to produce my own version, which I did. I have sent it to my psychologist to review so I can say it has been approved by her if people at work don't take it seriously. 

• Tell them what effects it has on you when they do these things. Then if they turn up with other people etc against your wishes, tell them you aren't letting them in. It's nothing to do with autism here - if someone disrespects your wishes they aren't worth dealing with.

• yeah at a push but im looking for something more official with general topics covered ie routines light noise sensitivity touching,  new strangers personal space etc

• I think the main issue is everyone is different, so a generic "fits all" info pack can be more damaging. Have you considered typing something out to print off that's individual to you? Then you can hand it to her - include the effects of not following the guidelines you have set out for yourself.