I went to the cinema today!

I went to the cinema today - haven't been for absolutely ages, partly though lethargy, but also a significant part was due to worry about how loud/bright/noisy/shiny/peoply it would be.

A good friend asked me to go with her/hubby/their son - I took 2 hours to reply to the text, as you do when your initial thought when anyone asks you to do anything is to scream "no" and curl up in a ball. But I didn't talk myself out of it.

And I'm glad I went, coz it was okay. She's one of the few people who know about my AS, so wasn't surprised when I said "I'll need to wear my earplugs, and I need to sit on the end of the row". It was quite loud, but the earplugs reduced it to an okay level for a couple of hours; it was quite bright, but I shut my eyes in the bright shiny flashy bits, and it wasn't too peoply. 

So I'm glad I did it!

• Nice I strugel with cinimas which is wiered cause Im fine with a pub but going to big open places whilst your sober even find difuclt. But I'm s lot more confident after a few drinks so cinimas a hard one as there aren't any booze there usually like you feel like everyone's judging you when you walk down the isle if you get me 

• Hi, @Bagpuss7. I think it's great that you managed to go to the cinema. Having an ASD entirely changes your day-to-day life. I'm in a similar situation, but when I was there, I got terrible anxiety and thought I was near to getting a psychosis, so I ran away. Since then, I have fully transferred to online watching movies and tv series on Netflix. Recently I bumped into this platform yeahmovies.tv, and I see it as more affordable. Does anyone of you have an account here? I'd be grateful if you'd advise me if it's worthy or not.

• Well done I hope you had a good time. I haven't seen Bagpuss in such a long time! I don't go to the cinema anymore I find them too crowded and noisy.

I remember the first time I went to the cinema with mother we went to see jailhouse rock with Elvis Presley in it. I was a young girl back then but I remember it so well Slight smile

• Well done! I hope you get to go back if you ever want to.

I saw the Simpson’s in the cinema in 07. And didn’t go again till 2019! Took some time for me to stop worrying about it. 

• Amazing! Well done for making the adjustments you needed so that you could go!

• I've found an advantage of the pandemic because of fewer people in the cinema room!

• I saw The Favourite a few weeks ago and really recommend it! It's very anarchic, weird and hilarious.

Have you seen the documentary Free Solo? Not sure if it is still in cinemas. It's about a guy who is most likely on the autism spectrum who "free climbs" - climbing huge mountain ranges with no ropes or safety equipment; it was fascinating.

• That sounds like a great cinema trip! I saw the new Mary Poppins last week too and it was so joyful and uplifting. The original is even better (in my humble opinion) and definitely worth a watch!

I might also follow your lead in getting earplugs for the cinema, noisy bars etc...

• I enjoy going to the cinema. My Girlfriend and I tend to go at quieter times. 

We do not watch horror or etc. 

Yesterday we watched Stan & Ollie and we loved it.

Today we watched Mary Poppins Returns.

We loved them. :-) Stan and Ollie actually caused me to cry a few tears as it was spine tingling watching Ollie deteriorate and fall ill. etc

The seats at Odeon (delux) are so Comfortable. and usually i find it difficult getting comfortable etc.  

Further tip.  Odeon Delux cinemas have smaller rooms with fewer seats so there are not (loads) of noisy people there

James

• We like the VIP seats in the Staines Vue.

• I'm sensitive to noise and avoided the cinema for around 15 years. Anything sudden, from a door closing to someone clearing their throat makes me jump, and I just found it too humiliating. I love films, though. So I've started to go again, but wear earplugs now. Vue cinemas have very spacious seating as well so I don't feel so cramped. 

• You are in for a treat if you do. It is a really wonderful film - I must have seen it 10 times, probably more! 

• That's why I choose the mid-afternoon - less people and no out-of-control kids. I also take earplugs to lower the sound level to something more acceptable.

• No problem, I'd go for it. They seem to show a pretty wide range of films too. At my cinema every film gets at least one showing for the hard of hearing. Happy viewing!

• i love going to the movies the main thing that gets to me is the people! and when they eat very loudly and russul bags and kids talking now that hurts more than the movies its self 

• I did fulfill a long held ambition when I once had the entire cinema (well, that screen) absolutely totally to myself - it was an afternoon showing, think it was "Teenage Mutant Turtles 2: Secret of the Ooze"

• thanks, yeah I would consider that. I do watch most TV with subtitles on just so I can have the volume down a notch so that would be ok at the cinema.

• have never seen the original Mary Poppins...

• I like the cinema experience - I just hate other people being in there with me.

I choose screenings when it's difficult for other people to attend - like weekdays during the school run - around 3pm - parents will be at the schools with their kids so they will book the next showing so I get the place to myself.

I can book the perfect seat right in the centre for perfect sound and perfect viewing angle - not too close, not too far away. The Goldilocks seat.

If only there were decent films to watch.....

• Have you tried showings for the hard of hearing? I find them very, very, compatible with my viewing experience. The hard of hearing make far less noise than people who aren't hard of hearing. I tend to get into it a bit with people who talk over the film, or make noise for the sake of it.

It's a strange paradox, but it's true. I've been quite a few times now, the first time was pure luck. They subtitle the film, so it would be great for your earplugs. There is still sound for the members of the audience that can hear. Some cinemas have Autism Friendly Showings too. I've never been to one, but they tend to not show many films.

I'd whole heartedly recommend hard of hearing showings. You don't have to be hard of hearing. They don't seem to care if you bring in foid from outside either, at least at my local cinema, suits me fine, especially considering the prices they charge for food. The showings are cheaper too, considerably. Everything's a plus!