I went to the cinema today!

I went to the cinema today - haven't been for absolutely ages, partly though lethargy, but also a significant part was due to worry about how loud/bright/noisy/shiny/peoply it would be.

A good friend asked me to go with her/hubby/their son - I took 2 hours to reply to the text, as you do when your initial thought when anyone asks you to do anything is to scream "no" and curl up in a ball. But I didn't talk myself out of it.

And I'm glad I went, coz it was okay. She's one of the few people who know about my AS, so wasn't surprised when I said "I'll need to wear my earplugs, and I need to sit on the end of the row". It was quite loud, but the earplugs reduced it to an okay level for a couple of hours; it was quite bright, but I shut my eyes in the bright shiny flashy bits, and it wasn't too peoply. 

So I'm glad I did it!

Parents Reply Children
  • I saw The Favourite a few weeks ago and really recommend it! It's very anarchic, weird and hilarious.

Have you seen the documentary Free Solo? Not sure if it is still in cinemas. It's about a guy who is most likely on the autism spectrum who "free climbs" - climbing huge mountain ranges with no ropes or safety equipment; it was fascinating.

• That sounds like a great cinema trip! I saw the new Mary Poppins last week too and it was so joyful and uplifting. The original is even better (in my humble opinion) and definitely worth a watch!

I might also follow your lead in getting earplugs for the cinema, noisy bars etc...

• You are in for a treat if you do. It is a really wonderful film - I must have seen it 10 times, probably more! 

• have never seen the original Mary Poppins...

• That's what I went to see on New Year's Eve... enjoyed it almost as much as the original Mary Poppins and the optimism it inspired was a great way to end / start the year.

I would like to see The Favourite, and Stan and Olly too. Saw trailers and they look promising. I worked in a cinema in all of my university vacations in the early 1980s and really loved it!