I went to the cinema today!

I went to the cinema today - haven't been for absolutely ages, partly though lethargy, but also a significant part was due to worry about how loud/bright/noisy/shiny/peoply it would be.

A good friend asked me to go with her/hubby/their son - I took 2 hours to reply to the text, as you do when your initial thought when anyone asks you to do anything is to scream "no" and curl up in a ball. But I didn't talk myself out of it.

And I'm glad I went, coz it was okay. She's one of the few people who know about my AS, so wasn't surprised when I said "I'll need to wear my earplugs, and I need to sit on the end of the row". It was quite loud, but the earplugs reduced it to an okay level for a couple of hours; it was quite bright, but I shut my eyes in the bright shiny flashy bits, and it wasn't too peoply. 

So I'm glad I did it!

Parents
  • Have you tried showings for the hard of hearing? I find them very, very, compatible with my viewing experience. The hard of hearing make far less noise than people who aren't hard of hearing. I tend to get into it a bit with people who talk over the film, or make noise for the sake of it.

It's a strange paradox, but it's true. I've been quite a few times now, the first time was pure luck. They subtitle the film, so it would be great for your earplugs. There is still sound for the members of the audience that can hear. Some cinemas have Autism Friendly Showings too. I've never been to one, but they tend to not show many films.

I'd whole heartedly recommend hard of hearing showings. You don't have to be hard of hearing. They don't seem to care if you bring in foid from outside either, at least at my local cinema, suits me fine, especially considering the prices they charge for food. The showings are cheaper too, considerably. Everything's a plus!

• thanks, yeah I would consider that. I do watch most TV with subtitles on just so I can have the volume down a notch so that would be ok at the cinema.

Reply Children