Social services removing children from parents with ASD

Hi, 

I am an autistic adult who is a parent. Since having my daughter I went through a terrible time with social services who set me up to fail and removed my daughter from me because I have a diagnosis of autism. It took me two years to fight for my daughter back and through this time social services and Cafcass used the so called deficits of my autism to justify the removal and to stop the return of my daughter. Thankfully the judge saw through this and returned my daughter concluding in her judgment that I parent my daughter to a high standard. 

I want to know how many my adults will autism who are parents have been through a similar situation. How many parents with ASD and other disabilities and or impairments are being targeted by social services and having their children removed? If you have experienced this please tell your story because the current system is outrageously discriminative against parents who have a disability and or impairment and I would like to raise awareness of the current failures within the current child protection system which is targeting parents with disabilities and or impairments so that change can happen. 

Parents
  • That's horrible this is why we as Autistic people need to stand against the government in a peaceful protest bare in mind and protest are rights for equality. When I say this page dipresses me at times I don't mean in a negtitive way just in the sense that it's kind of heart breaking to see others like myself suffer for it and the fact humanity is still to cruel to care. When I see and here how were treated by others that aren't like us it's know wonder why half us end up feeling sucidel because it's hard to see a better tomorrow and a better future at times. 

• Hi 1234, there are things in place to prevent discrimination, such as the equality act, of which Autism is considered a disability and is a protected characteristic, of which employers and agencies must make reasonable adjustments for people who have autism, failure to do so is considered discrimination against them.

in a personal opinion, we are equal, i think the term you may be looking for is equity over equality, as equality is everyone having the same rights and opportunities, but equity is fairness in all scenarios and giving people what they need to level the playingfield, for example in schools, extra time in exams.

• Whether you call it equality or equity the equality act is definately pushing towards the principal that disabled people should have 'fairness in all senarios'. For instance it says "A person (A) discriminates against another (B) if, because of a protected characteristic, A treats B less favourably than A treats or would treat others. ... If the protected characteristic is disability, and B is not a disabled person, A does not discriminate against B only because A treats or would treat disabled persons more favourably than A treats B."

The reasonable adjustments law provides for situations where it is required for entities to treat disabled people differently so as to compensate for their disadvantages. The discrimination arising from disability law provides for situations where it is illegal to treat a disabled person badly even when you'd treat an abled body person the same way (eg sacking a person with touretts for swearing).

• but can have your child removed for showing distressed behaviours that most sw do not have the training to understand but have other training which will give them a very different aspect/perception on a situation whether it is a reality is always debated. (professional gaslighting). an asd individual having a tantrum and a meltdown I dont think many sw could tell the difference never mind going from distressed aggressive behaviour to meltdown volatile behaviour that they could need restraining  caused by them simply not listening or communicating in an a appropriate manner . or thinking someones agitated and in fact about to have a meltdown that is going to endanger everyone due to poor emotional regulation again if correct supports not given at the right time a flare ups situation can be made considerately worse do sw safeguard or put children at risk 

• but can have your child removed for showing distressed behaviours that most sw do not have the training to understand but have other training which will give them a very different aspect/perception on a situation whether it is a reality is always debated. (professional gaslighting). an asd individual having a tantrum and a meltdown I dont think many sw could tell the difference never mind going from distressed aggressive behaviour to meltdown volatile behaviour that they could need restraining  caused by them simply not listening or communicating in an a appropriate manner . or thinking someones agitated and in fact about to have a meltdown that is going to endanger everyone due to poor emotional regulation again if correct supports not given at the right time a flare ups situation can be made considerately worse do sw safeguard or put children at risk 

Children
No Data