Social services removing children from parents with ASD

Hi, 

I am an autistic adult who is a parent. Since having my daughter I went through a terrible time with social services who set me up to fail and removed my daughter from me because I have a diagnosis of autism. It took me two years to fight for my daughter back and through this time social services and Cafcass used the so called deficits of my autism to justify the removal and to stop the return of my daughter. Thankfully the judge saw through this and returned my daughter concluding in her judgment that I parent my daughter to a high standard. 

I want to know how many my adults will autism who are parents have been through a similar situation. How many parents with ASD and other disabilities and or impairments are being targeted by social services and having their children removed? If you have experienced this please tell your story because the current system is outrageously discriminative against parents who have a disability and or impairment and I would like to raise awareness of the current failures within the current child protection system which is targeting parents with disabilities and or impairments so that change can happen. 

Parents
  • That's horrible this is why we as Autistic people need to stand against the government in a peaceful protest bare in mind and protest are rights for equality. When I say this page dipresses me at times I don't mean in a negtitive way just in the sense that it's kind of heart breaking to see others like myself suffer for it and the fact humanity is still to cruel to care. When I see and here how were treated by others that aren't like us it's know wonder why half us end up feeling sucidel because it's hard to see a better tomorrow and a better future at times. 

• Hi 1234, there are things in place to prevent discrimination, such as the equality act, of which Autism is considered a disability and is a protected characteristic, of which employers and agencies must make reasonable adjustments for people who have autism, failure to do so is considered discrimination against them.

in a personal opinion, we are equal, i think the term you may be looking for is equity over equality, as equality is everyone having the same rights and opportunities, but equity is fairness in all scenarios and giving people what they need to level the playingfield, for example in schools, extra time in exams.

• well my daughters been placed on a placement order and after advice from legal services clearly stated ive been discriminated against due to my autism sw do not adhere to current policies and procedures 

Reply Children
  • I recommend autistic parents uk, the first organisation for autistic parents. 

Secondary I recommend: NATALIE MARRISON Ramsdens solicitors should you wish to pursue litigation or contact the good law project or pro bono. 

Unfortunately there are many autistic parents who have had their human rights violated and their children removed, we need to speak out. Unless society is aware that the current child protection system has many potential pit falls for autistic parents to fall into; change will never happen. 

• Thank you for sharing. I unfortunately know exactly what you mean. 

I have also become painfully aware of the fact that I am not alone in what happened to me, and that autistic individuals (and parents) continue to be discriminated against by Local Authorities - whether directly or indirectly.

I recall the feeling of disbelief when reading research about autistic mothers having their human rights violated.. particularly when I noticed they had been written years prior to what happened to me... and it is all still the same.

I am exhausted, and this experience has changed me. And yet I still feel like I cannot stand by quietly while this continues to happen to others.

• thanks Michelle very very useful information ive been relying on the BASW 

• Social workers are independently regulated by Social Work England. Anyone can raise their concerns about an individual's practice and they would then be investigated by a panel of people independent to their employer. If their practice is below the required standard then they are put under suspension and cannot practice as a "Social worker", which is a legally protected title. Their employer would have no choice but to take action. 

They could also complain to Ofsted or CQC (as applicable) if it was a wider issue about the service rather than an individual worker. 

Again, another good reason  to have an advocate as they'd have no reason to keep this information from anyone. That being said, I've always been happy to share complaints procedures with people as usually I either accept my error and clients accept my apology, or the issue is a wider systematic issue and me apologising for it won't change it and a complaint is better. Either way,, everyone has a right to complain. You also have a right to ask for a different worker if you need to. 

I'm glad I'm not a social worker any more. Most agencies are offering £30+ an hour now because of shortages but it really isn't worth the stress of explaining all of this to people that don't want to believe we are doing our best with what we have available to us. 

• got an appointment tomorrow at 3 thanks @iamyeke

100% Peter rather protect professionals who are discriminative and put the profession into dispute again not upholding policies and procedures LA sw need to realise an asd individual who enters hyperfocus around there policies and procedures may actually know more  than the professionals themselves who are incapable or unwilling to accept further training or development it is then put on to parent that they are not engaging do not understand concerns 

• There is an old proverb. 'Each bureaucrat is protected by the one above him.' The 'one bad apple' argument only holds water where officials are not unduly reluctant to sack incompetent or malicious social workers.

• Also to further add, i just went on Sir Jon Ashworths website and he has this on his contact page;

Jon employs trained staff at the Constituency Office in Leicester City Centre who run regular weekly advices sessions.

Jon also runs advise sessions on Friday afternoons. To book an appointment with a caseworker or to see Jon call 0116 251 1927.

Jon holds an additional advice session at the Eyres Monsell Community Centre on the first Friday of the month at 12pm and on the last Friday of the month at Leicester’s Central Mosque on Conduit Street at 1.30.

This could be a good way to get in contact.

• A tip for MPs as I work as a liason with them following the death of Sir David Amess, make sure you are polite in your messages, do not insult them or show discreditable conduct, be open, honest and kind, it will get a response, if you send anything rude, the MP will refuse to see you or listen to you, there is a case we have a guy who is not allowed to speak to his MP because he keeps being extremely rude and disorderly, so showing manners will likely earn appointments or you could attend a local surgery if he has them

• already have hard to contact John ashworth to get listened to 

• If the issue is extremely widespread, as i have not experienced it, I would consider approaching your local MP and bringing the facts to the table and your experiences, that way they can lobby it in parliament (if they will)

• I believe you, I have experienced being discriminated against by social services, refusal to make reasonable adjustments, purposefully setting me up to fail. Assessing me as a neurotypical parent when I am autistic. There is research out there which exposes how autistic mothers are having their human rights violated by child protection. The problem is unless you have actually experienced how oppressive children's services are towards autistic parents you will struggle to believe that this is a huge problem. There is a stigma within child protection against autistic parents, that we are emotionally cold and unable to prioritiese our children's needs above our own. Research is exposing the stigma but also challenging the stigma because actually Autistic Mothers demonstrate dedication and resilience throughout parenting despite their unique challenges. 

• There will always be negative experiences of services. Some doctors make horrific errors or act negligently, it doesn't mean every doctor is doing the same.  I presume you don't judge ever doctor by the standards Harold Shipman set. It's no different for any other profession. 

When I was a social worker I was expected by people to know everything about their health conditions, benefits, community-based services, hospital services, charities, various laws and policies. It is impossible for one person to know everything so yes, errors are made or there are gaps. I'm an autistic social worker and wouldn't expect to be able to know exactly what every other autistic person is experiencing. I can only assess what is in front of me, which again is why it is so important to access advocacy services if you struggle to express yourself.