Social services removing children from parents with ASD

Hi, 

I am an autistic adult who is a parent. Since having my daughter I went through a terrible time with social services who set me up to fail and removed my daughter from me because I have a diagnosis of autism. It took me two years to fight for my daughter back and through this time social services and Cafcass used the so called deficits of my autism to justify the removal and to stop the return of my daughter. Thankfully the judge saw through this and returned my daughter concluding in her judgment that I parent my daughter to a high standard. 

I want to know how many my adults will autism who are parents have been through a similar situation. How many parents with ASD and other disabilities and or impairments are being targeted by social services and having their children removed? If you have experienced this please tell your story because the current system is outrageously discriminative against parents who have a disability and or impairment and I would like to raise awareness of the current failures within the current child protection system which is targeting parents with disabilities and or impairments so that change can happen. 

Parents
  • Hi I was hoping someone could help. I had my baby  months ago. My partner at the time was undiagnosed with autism. He had a autistic melt down and resulted in me being hit by a gate the social took our daughter away. Made me stay away from him. Now I’m hoping to get her back however im worried they say he can’t have anything to do with her or me because of autism, anyone been in similar situation 

• I take it you decided to stay with your abusive partner? When people do this, autistic or not, they often feel the victimised parent cannot protect their child. After all, you have chosen to take the risk of violence against yourself, but you have no right to accept that risk on behalf of a child, and they have to assume that someone with the lack of control to stop themselves being violent against their partner likely lacks the same control against anyone, including children. 

My mum was in an abusive relationship with my dad as a very young mum. She made the best decision for me and separated from him and had an injection against him from approaching us. Needless to say, social workers didn't need to remove me. 

This isn't a problem about autism, this is a problem about staying in an abusive relationship. It takes a lot of strength to walk away from any relationship, even a violent one. Especially when that person is the parent to your child. If you want to remain with him though then you will likely need to accept that they aren't going to return your child to you to be at risk of his violence outbursts. 

• You take it I stayed with an abusive partner? Actually he’s not abusive never layed a finger on me or anyone. He was undiagnosed with autism and never new he had it at the time of our daughter being born. The whole new change lead him to having an outburst. I was not present at this time however I did walk into the house he was in and as he kicked a baby gate out the way of him it hit me. My ex partner was jealous that I moved on and filled the social a load of lies about him, moving forward to today we have heard a couple of social workers and professionals tell us it shouldn’t of went as far as it has. I do believe the social worker we had didn’t like us. We do have her back eventually 

• Where I get advocate services do you know the number 

• are u supposed to put people at a disadvantage or make sure everyone has the same advantage but reality very different to perception 

• well all that if u was familiar with some people dont do jargon very confusing why its good to not generalise autistic people because what worked with one might not work with others every one of us is different but due to the differences we have an experience 

well thats another problem when with autistic individuals and ur a professional with experience u dnt see the problems......how is someone going to work with a stranger expectations - what if to work with that person properly they need to build a trusting relationship if they dnt find a solicitor looks like they dont care or not engaging again lack of support and failure to follow autism act 2009 so those professionals should be following. ALL there statutory laws which from time they interact with an autistic person they cross different law thresholds including discrimination by association alot of so called professional tell parents the minimum amount of information so they can reach there agenda kinda of like triangulation in a narcisttisc relationship only using colleagues who will support them reason for lack of MASH,MDT and wider agency work 

• A legal "advocate" in England is a barrister or solicitor who argues cases in court. They must be legally qualified and hold a "practising certificate" from their professional body.

A lay advocate is someone who "speaks for" another person. The word is used for supporters and helpers and may be family members, friends, volunteers or paid helpers.

A lawyer will present your case in court and give you legal advice, but they are paid professionals, not your friends.

• no im talking about an advocate that can do both as some people do have many skills and extensive knowledge can be very distressing to then be EXPECTED to work with a stranger who will have an insight but no factual information on the reality of that individual and there autistic behaviours and traits I am constantly met by professionals who say they haven't met someone with my characteristics. and as the autism act states professionals should work with friends and family NOT STRANGERS to gain expert knowledge of the person its law. they can then be appointed a legal advocate to help them with their rights if laws aren't being upheld. 

• I presume you are talking about an advocate in the sense of a supporter rather than legal counsel. Normally if you are a party your solicitor will make arrangements with the justices' clerk. If you are a witness, there is a witness support service that will advise "vulnerable" witnesses - usually the solicitor calling you will make these arrangements. The details are on HM Courts Service website.

• I was in a court room and the judge refused me an advocate so what should happen and what really happens are two different things 

• Advocates are separate to social services, it isn't something that they are able to refuse. You also have a legal right to advocacy services if you have any need which would prevent you from being able to be fully engaged with social services and their assessment processes. 

Advocacy services are run by different agencies around the country so vary area by area. If you need help trying to figure out who your local service is then I'd be happy to try to help. 

• Advocates are separate to social services, it isn't something that they are able to refuse. You also have a legal right to advocacy services if you have any need which would prevent you from being able to be fully engaged with social services and their assessment processes. 

Advocacy services are run by different agencies around the country so vary area by area. If you need help trying to figure out who your local service is then I'd be happy to try to help. 

Children
  • Where I get advocate services do you know the number 

• are u supposed to put people at a disadvantage or make sure everyone has the same advantage but reality very different to perception 

• well all that if u was familiar with some people dont do jargon very confusing why its good to not generalise autistic people because what worked with one might not work with others every one of us is different but due to the differences we have an experience 

well thats another problem when with autistic individuals and ur a professional with experience u dnt see the problems......how is someone going to work with a stranger expectations - what if to work with that person properly they need to build a trusting relationship if they dnt find a solicitor looks like they dont care or not engaging again lack of support and failure to follow autism act 2009 so those professionals should be following. ALL there statutory laws which from time they interact with an autistic person they cross different law thresholds including discrimination by association alot of so called professional tell parents the minimum amount of information so they can reach there agenda kinda of like triangulation in a narcisttisc relationship only using colleagues who will support them reason for lack of MASH,MDT and wider agency work 

• A legal "advocate" in England is a barrister or solicitor who argues cases in court. They must be legally qualified and hold a "practising certificate" from their professional body.

A lay advocate is someone who "speaks for" another person. The word is used for supporters and helpers and may be family members, friends, volunteers or paid helpers.

A lawyer will present your case in court and give you legal advice, but they are paid professionals, not your friends.

• no im talking about an advocate that can do both as some people do have many skills and extensive knowledge can be very distressing to then be EXPECTED to work with a stranger who will have an insight but no factual information on the reality of that individual and there autistic behaviours and traits I am constantly met by professionals who say they haven't met someone with my characteristics. and as the autism act states professionals should work with friends and family NOT STRANGERS to gain expert knowledge of the person its law. they can then be appointed a legal advocate to help them with their rights if laws aren't being upheld. 

• I presume you are talking about an advocate in the sense of a supporter rather than legal counsel. Normally if you are a party your solicitor will make arrangements with the justices' clerk. If you are a witness, there is a witness support service that will advise "vulnerable" witnesses - usually the solicitor calling you will make these arrangements. The details are on HM Courts Service website.

• I was in a court room and the judge refused me an advocate so what should happen and what really happens are two different things