What to do you all do for New Year?

There have been lots of posts lately about Christmas. I quite like Christmas and find it quite manageable. New Year however, I find much harder.

The last few years I've just stayed in by myself to avoid it but have felt myself feeling really quite upset and lonely especially seeing everyone's pictures on social media of them enjoying bringing it in with their loved ones. I know I should avoid looking but I can't resist.

I'd happily see in the new year with a small group of friends. Food, a few drinks and some games. This would be my perfect new year. I don't know anyone that would want to bring in the new year like this though.

I have the option this year of going to the pub with a couple of friends but I know the pub will be really busy on New Years Eve and I would just hate it. I'm not a big drinker either. I've tried going to the pub for New Year before and just sat in the corner wishing the hours away.

I don't really have any close friends so it's difficult to explain to people why I wouldn't want to bring in New Year the same way as them and I certainly don't want to ruin anyone else's fun. 

My parents have a group of friends that take it in turns to host New Year so I can't go to them either.

I really hate New Year after New Year being me bringing it in alone. I like me time and not spending too much time with people but I really wish I had a good friend or 2 I could share these times with and would understand the difficulties I have with them.

How do other people cope with this time of year?

Parents
  • I always used to see the New Year in with mum.  Last year, though - the first without her - I went to bed early.  I woke when the fireworks went off at midnight, but then went back to sleep, thinking 'Let's see what 2018 brings.'

It's been a mixed year, but it ended on a bad note - extended sickness from work, meaning a big loss of money.  But at least I've got a new job to start in January, so I'm looking at that as something really positive coming out of it all.

I'm 60 next year, too - a bit of a biggie!

I'm not sure if I'll stay up on New Year's Eve, but I'll be alone again.  I may have a little tipple.  But I'm resolved to start the New Year sober and keep it going at least for the first month and see how I feel.  After that, I'll aim for 100 days.  Then take it from there.  I need to stop drinking before it does me any real damage.  I'd like to moderate it, but I've tried that and it doesn't work.

So... I'm at least starting with some hopes for better things.

• That must have been hard. Adjusting to it without your mum. Its good you are looking at things so positively.

I'm honestly not sure whether I'll bother staying up this year. If I'm tired I'll just go to bed or I'll just annoy myself.

I'm 30 next year although I'm not sure I see that as something to look forward to. I have a holiday booked though so I am looking forward to that. I might have to do some more research/planning for that. Should cheer me up a little.

• All I can say is... my 30s were my best years.  So far, anyway.  Still young enough to be classed as 'young', and old enough to have a little more wisdom.  I hope yours are the same.

• I liked 30s too - old enough not to be a complete nitwit but everything still worked. I'm 62 now, starting a poverty-stricken old age in the face <sigh>  I'll probably end up nattering on here through NYE, hope to see you all :D  Maybe we should have a 'live' chatroom for the occasion?

• I've always been very immature so the idea of being 30 and a proper adult is daunting. I don't feel ready to be that age. But I guess it's just a number.

Reply Children
No Data