What to do you all do for New Year?

There have been lots of posts lately about Christmas. I quite like Christmas and find it quite manageable. New Year however, I find much harder.

The last few years I've just stayed in by myself to avoid it but have felt myself feeling really quite upset and lonely especially seeing everyone's pictures on social media of them enjoying bringing it in with their loved ones. I know I should avoid looking but I can't resist.

I'd happily see in the new year with a small group of friends. Food, a few drinks and some games. This would be my perfect new year. I don't know anyone that would want to bring in the new year like this though.

I have the option this year of going to the pub with a couple of friends but I know the pub will be really busy on New Years Eve and I would just hate it. I'm not a big drinker either. I've tried going to the pub for New Year before and just sat in the corner wishing the hours away.

I don't really have any close friends so it's difficult to explain to people why I wouldn't want to bring in New Year the same way as them and I certainly don't want to ruin anyone else's fun. 

My parents have a group of friends that take it in turns to host New Year so I can't go to them either.

I really hate New Year after New Year being me bringing it in alone. I like me time and not spending too much time with people but I really wish I had a good friend or 2 I could share these times with and would understand the difficulties I have with them.

How do other people cope with this time of year?

Parents
  • Normally it's an ordinary day for my family and I. The night usually consists of waiting a movie with the girls, it will normally be a Disney Pixar or another animation and then after that I put them to bed and then spend the rest of the night with my husband. I'll usually have a glass of wine and we'll talk with music playing in the background. When I was younger I used to play dungeons and dragons with my friends lol but I don't do this now, well, not much!

This year as my husband is poorly he will likely be asleep in bed by 9 and I will probably read or listen to music, once the girls are asleep.

• I see you're a Wham fan, my sister is too. I watched some of the George Michael concert from 2008 that was on BBC4 www.bbc.co.uk/.../m001n435 I think the other night. My sister is so keen I went with her to the Manchester leg of that tour in 2006 and she was heavily pregnant at the time Slight smile 

• Your sister and you sound awesome Sunglasses I'm very jealous, I would have loved to have seen George Michael live like that. There was an opportunity in 1993 but I was too anxious to go! Probably my biggest regret in life where I allowed anxiety to ruin something special for me. I hope you and your sister enjoyed the tour! I bet it was amazing.

• Your sister and you sound awesome Sunglasses I'm very jealous, I would have loved to have seen George Michael live like that. There was an opportunity in 1993 but I was too anxious to go! Probably my biggest regret in life where I allowed anxiety to ruin something special for me. I hope you and your sister enjoyed the tour! I bet it was amazing.

Children
  • My sister was so into it she went to a few  of the concerts in that tour (with other friends of hers etc). I've looked it up on Google Bard and this is what it said  about that tour:

George Michael's 25 Live tour wasn't just one lengthy tour, but actually spanned three tours across almost three years, from 2006 to 2008. Here's a breakdown:

1st leg: September 23, 2006 – December 17, 2006 (50 dates)

2nd leg: June 6, 2007 – September 9, 2007 (80 dates)

3rd leg: March 25, 2008 – December 1, 2008 (21 dates)

Therefore, the entire 25 Live tour lasted for 151 dates over 2 years, 2 months, and 8 days.

The tour was truly extensive, taking Michael across 80 cities in 25 countries. It became a massive success, earning numerous awards and breaking attendance records at stadiums and arenas worldwide.

I like his stuff sometimes whereas she likes it all the time. I'm glad we went to the concert together (and with her twin /my brother). I found I admired+respected George's capabilities as a performer, showman and singer through the show. Due to my mental ill health/autism I found it all pretty overwhelming though. I remember a couple of women next to me throughout who were very into it and castigated me at one point saying I should get into it more i.e. dancing about, whooping, hollering etc. I disliked their comments a lot and managed to stay sort of calm thankfully. I remember having a similar experience at a football match where a woman sat next to me castigated me like that too (she wasn't saying I should dance about in that case but should whoop, holler, cheer, sing, shout etc). It a minefield out there Upside downI liked seeing (and remembering/reminiscing about) the George Michael concert when it was on BBC last week, anyway Slight smile