Tolerance to Pain

I have been diagnosed as autistic/Aspergers

I don't seem to feel pain the same as most people. I am a beekeeper and regularly get stung and although I does hurt it doesn't seem to bother me. I once got stung over 100 times at once. I also cycle competitively and have suffered various injuries whilst racing including broken ribs where I have carried on regardless

When I was a kid I was always falling into stinging nettles or getting scratched on barbed wire

I also like extreme tasting foods - espresso coffee, vindaloo curry, extra hot chilli sauce, grapefruit juice etc

I thought that autistic people had sensory issues and are extra sensitive to pain which is the opposite to me

Are these autistic traits? when I had my diagnosis my assessor didn't think so but I'm not so sure

Parents
  • I think I am the same. I must be hyposensitive. I have a high pain tolerance, I've had multiple injuries throughout my life and I've always just carried on with things regardless of how bad the injury was. I only ever seem to seek help or treatment when a family member or doctor has forced me to. 

Yet something annoying like a label in my clothes, too hot or too cold weather or a hair clip slightly digging in to my scalp would bother me so much more. 

I agree sensory issues are a weird thing for me. 

• I've had a few issues with this. One example, I went to the doctor with something "you can't possibly have *said condition* or you'd be in so much pain you couldn't walk" so I didnt get the medication and then ended up in hospital (where the same thing happened twice more "you'd be screaming in pain if you had *said condition*" ) I've also had injuries which I hadn't really noticed and I've got quite a few tattoos which I would describe being tattooed as similar to tickling - unpleasant but not too bad. But similar to you, I can't stand labels in clothes etc or annoying clothes

• I've had a few issues with this. One example, I went to the doctor with something "you can't possibly have *said condition* or you'd be in so much pain you couldn't walk" so I didnt get the medication and then ended up in hospital (where the same thing happened twice more "you'd be screaming in pain if you had *said condition*" ) I've also had injuries which I hadn't really noticed and I've got quite a few tattoos which I would describe being tattooed as similar to tickling - unpleasant but not too bad. But similar to you, I can't stand labels in clothes etc or annoying clothes

Children
  • I was thinking about this today and was wondering if anyone with chronic pain has had any luck with painkillers? I think the strong ones work by changing the way your brain reacts to pain? (I might be wrong in this) anyway, I never had any luck with painkillers. I was thinking maybe this is because ASD brains don't react in the same way to these sorts of painkillers.