When do autistic traits become autism

HI

have been told that I have a number of autistic traits, but have also been told that they don't necessarily make me autistic.

So when do my autistic traits make me autistic or are at least enough for me to seek help or an assesment.

Cheers

Mark

Parents Reply Children
  • As the social interaction problems are the biggest and long standing, ie before signs of mental illness , I would say ASD. I think the mental health problems were triggered by bullying at public school.

• I appreciate your honesty.

That is all quite serious stuff and the meds in 75 weren't the friendliest either Slight frown

I've got a mother with severe psychiatric issues, they don't know what to do with her at the moment. You kind of get used to it.

Do you think it is more ASD or more schizophrenia? Or does it depend on some kind of cycle?

• I was never told a dx at first. I was nearly 17 and at public school. They put me on anafranil. In 1975 I was admitted for the first time and was given a dx of schizophrenia. Dx has changed a few times over the last 43 years. It seems to be swinging back again to the original  ie latest pdoc said schizophrenia + ASD were the best fits.