When do autistic traits become autism

HI

have been told that I have a number of autistic traits, but have also been told that they don't necessarily make me autistic.

So when do my autistic traits make me autistic or are at least enough for me to seek help or an assesment.

Cheers

Mark

Parents
  • Hi Mark,

it really depends on you - do you feel an assessment is needed? Many autistic people seek assessment because they are experiencing difficulties in their lives. 

Here is an extract from the NICE guidance stating when ASD (autism spectrum disorders) assessments should be carried out under the NHS: 

'Identification and initial assessment of possible autism

1.2.2Consider assessment for possible autism when a person has:

one or more of the following:

persistent difficulties in social interaction

persistent difficulties in social communication

stereotypic (rigid and repetitive) behaviours, resistance to change or restricted interests,

and

one or more of the following:

problems in obtaining or sustaining employment or education

difficulties in initiating or sustaining social relationships

previous or current contact with mental health or learning disability services

a history of a neurodevelopmental condition (including learning disabilities and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) or mental disorder.'

It is a personal choice whether or not to seek diagnosis - there are advantages and disadvantages either way.

I had wondered if I might be autistic for some time, but had not taken any action. 

When my difficulties became intense it was an easy decision to get assessed. 

Hope this is helpful. 

• Thanks for getting back to me.

I would fit most of the criteria above.

I just want people to accept me for the way I am and maybe a diagnosis would help with that. I wouldn't need to keep apologising for the things I do.

• Thanks for getting back to me.

I would fit most of the criteria above.

I just want people to accept me for the way I am and maybe a diagnosis would help with that. I wouldn't need to keep apologising for the things I do.

Children
No Data