Avoiding Shops at Christmas

For many of us, this time of year can be a nightmare.  It's about now I avoid towns and shops.  There are far too many people, too much noise and I hate it.

I do all of my shopping online. 

• Me too! Online shopping is my best friend. I can manage the shops for maybe 30 mins and then I get sensory overload and have to leave. Online shopping takes all the anxiety out of my Christmas!

• I know Foop in Covent Garden and yes difficult to get round try Sister Ray in Berwick street bit easier to get round 

• Unfortunately that's capitalism/corporatism - the corps need to sell things to stay in existence, plus they have those lovely shareholders that they need to deliver returns and "value" to.

• Shopping is one of the most avoidable things there is. Practically everything can be bought over the net so you only need venture out for very specific things that you need to actually be present for.

Those expeditions can be done at times when you might be the only person in the shop like early or late shopping.

I do not understand the concept of shopping as a pass-time. Wasting time & money to go and stare at things you don't need and cannot afford. Crazy behaviour.

Anything to do with my hobbies and interests are internet only - the shops either don't exist or are miles away so added petrol cost makes the purchase too expensive.

Things I need to be present for are things like clothes or food items of huge variability so selection is needed - like meat.

If I have to do it, I'm there on opening so I can park easily and be done & home before the hoards come alive.

• I'm not big on shopping at the best of times but it is harder this time of year. I do try to avoid really busy places. I do a lot of shopping online and buy things I like if I see them throughout the year. The bit I find difficult is buying my own presents (my parents then reimburse me). It is often items of clothing and I don't like to buy these online as in the past I've had issues with size, fitting, material etc so I have to go somewhere I can try them on. I usually pick the shopping village quite close to me. It only involves walking round a square and it's open air so not trapped in a building and I know where the shops I like are so I can do a shop there in 30 minutes. I try and pick times like late in the evening when it is much quieter.

• Last year I did a lot of my christmas shopping in Fopp Records in covent garden. I was in there for maybe forty minutes. I'm sure the security people thought I was a shoplifter because of my behaviour. The shop is on three floors and when I needed some space I would keep returning to a section towards the back of the cd section (top floor) which was fairly unpopular. Also I was sweating quite a bit. The aisles between the racks of merchandise were much too thin and the music was too loud. I bought myself a Ramones cd as a reward for my extreme bravery.  Slight smile

• I have had terrible experiences in shopping centres. I am sure they design them so it is very difficult to escape -  a bit like Ikea stores! 

• I dont mond shopping sometimes but at this time of year hate it too. I dont like when the shopping centres and supermarkets are busy. I dont like people walking behind me following me down the aisles. I dont like people getting in my way when im trying to get something off a shelf or rail.I dont like how people have few manners. I dont like how its rammed down our throats from october with christmas lights and adverts everywhere. I dont like how its too hot in the shops and cold outside. Im not religious but i hate how its turned into the biggest money making event ever. I dont like the throwaway consumerist aspect of it. It makes me sad to see the disparity between shoppers with their bags and homeless people in sleeping bags. I dont like how all the winter clothes are so thin and of poor quality. I dont like the special offers which confuse me. Just sell them cheap to begin with.

I just want it to feel like it did when i was a child. I can remember how it felt.

• I'm really not that keen on busy supermarkets.  I can do it, but I find them more challenging than I would like.  But I'm fine with most other shopping things most of the time.  I grew up in Bristol, and at that time there was no "out-of-town" shopping.  Shopping in Broadmead was very busy on a Saturday (no Sunday opening), so perhaps I'm more attuned to it.  My partner comes from Weybridge.  She's better in supermarkets than I am, but a lot less comfortable in other busy shopping places than I am.

• Love a good charity shop for vinyl and cds got dragged off to Milton Keynes Christmas shopping many years ago took me weeks to recover never again.

• Me too, or in charity shops :-) 

• Same here really struggle but struggle with large supermarkets all year round find it easier to go shopping early morning avoid large crowds