Terrified of Diagnosis Negative Result

Hi all,

I finally at 33 decided after some of my own research to ask my GP for an assessment referral as my family/close people have for a while been telling me I'm "on the spectrum" and pointing out things I've always done. Things had been stressing me out masking and negatively stimming (I think that's the right term?).

My GP luckily agreed some of my list of noticed traits/habits were typical autistic traits and some could have been obsessive behaviours so referred me.

The more I researched about autism the more I recognised things in myself and the more I felt I identify with autism and want to find support.

My worry now is that:

A) I've read a lot about long waiting lists and I stress and get anxious a lot waiting for important things.

B) I will have a negative assessment and be shot back down to struggling with my "quirks".

I'm partially starting to regret the referral now as I've felt extra self conscious after researching and asking those close to me to discuss what issues they've noticed about me but I feel a positive diagnosis would really help me.

Has anybody got any advice here as I'm feeling super stuck and stressed.

Parents
  • Hi Kraeig,

Sorry I'm late joining this thread.  I'm 59 now and only got diagnosed 3 years ago.

Just a couple of things I wanted to say.  I had my diagnosis on the NHS, and the whole process from initial referral took just over 2 years.  It will vary, probably, from region to region - but I'd expect that you'd have to wait at least this long.  It can be difficult, waiting that long - but all the while, I was absolutely convinced that it would be positive; so much so, that I self-diagnosed and was happy to live with that.

I was told to take someone with me who'd known me all of my life, and the only person was my mother (my brother wouldn't have been interested).  In the end, though, her own interview was very short and was just about how things were in my childhood generally and if I'd reached my usual developmental milestones.  She was able to confirm that I had a difficult childhood at school, was disruptive at home, was a loner - but other than that, I think my own testimony was what really swung the case.  I didn't put on any pretences.  I was my natural self.  I disclosed all of my behaviours and issues, and some of them - my over-detailed answers to relatively simple questions and my lack of eye contact - were pretty self-evident.  My final report was 16 pages long, and mainly focused on the things I'd said and the things the psych had observed about me.

It's easy to say 'try not to stress'.  But even if you have a long wait, and have no one you can take with you (maybe one of your parents will finally agree), just remember that you will be the focus on the day.  Be yourself.

Keep talking to us on here, too.  We're all here to help and give you any reassurances you need.

Take care,

Tom

• Hi Kraeig,

Sorry I'm late joining this thread.  I'm 59 now and only got diagnosed 3 years ago.

Just a couple of things I wanted to say.  I had my diagnosis on the NHS, and the whole process from initial referral took just over 2 years.  It will vary, probably, from region to region - but I'd expect that you'd have to wait at least this long.  It can be difficult, waiting that long - but all the while, I was absolutely convinced that it would be positive; so much so, that I self-diagnosed and was happy to live with that.

I was told to take someone with me who'd known me all of my life, and the only person was my mother (my brother wouldn't have been interested).  In the end, though, her own interview was very short and was just about how things were in my childhood generally and if I'd reached my usual developmental milestones.  She was able to confirm that I had a difficult childhood at school, was disruptive at home, was a loner - but other than that, I think my own testimony was what really swung the case.  I didn't put on any pretences.  I was my natural self.  I disclosed all of my behaviours and issues, and some of them - my over-detailed answers to relatively simple questions and my lack of eye contact - were pretty self-evident.  My final report was 16 pages long, and mainly focused on the things I'd said and the things the psych had observed about me.

It's easy to say 'try not to stress'.  But even if you have a long wait, and have no one you can take with you (maybe one of your parents will finally agree), just remember that you will be the focus on the day.  Be yourself.

Keep talking to us on here, too.  We're all here to help and give you any reassurances you need.

Take care,

Tom

Children
No Data