Terrified of Diagnosis Negative Result

Hi all,

I finally at 33 decided after some of my own research to ask my GP for an assessment referral as my family/close people have for a while been telling me I'm "on the spectrum" and pointing out things I've always done. Things had been stressing me out masking and negatively stimming (I think that's the right term?).

My GP luckily agreed some of my list of noticed traits/habits were typical autistic traits and some could have been obsessive behaviours so referred me.

The more I researched about autism the more I recognised things in myself and the more I felt I identify with autism and want to find support.

My worry now is that:

A) I've read a lot about long waiting lists and I stress and get anxious a lot waiting for important things.

B) I will have a negative assessment and be shot back down to struggling with my "quirks".

I'm partially starting to regret the referral now as I've felt extra self conscious after researching and asking those close to me to discuss what issues they've noticed about me but I feel a positive diagnosis would really help me.

Has anybody got any advice here as I'm feeling super stuck and stressed.

Parents
  • I just wanted to follow this up to give the whole journey:

• I have just this week received my diagnosis of ASC.
    • After THREE botched attempts at referrals by GPs I finally a year later was put on the waiting list.
    • It was just under a year I believe on the waiting list in the end once successfully referred.
    • I am feeling both relieved and a bit strange after having the diagnosis now and wondering what next...
  • I just wanted to follow this up to give the whole journey:

• I have just this week received my diagnosis of ASC.
    • After THREE botched attempts at referrals by GPs I finally a year later was put on the waiting list.
    • It was just under a year I believe on the waiting list in the end once successfully referred.
    • I am feeling both relieved and a bit strange after having the diagnosis now and wondering what next...
Children
  • Kraeig, it is utterly refreshing to know how you feel. I got diagnosed 3 days ago. And feel exactly the same, in the end I went private as I was fed up with the NHS. It’s like they were Intentionally trying to misdirect me. 

Any way well done for getting you diagnosis, it’s a marathon emotionally. I guess it’s little steps into the ASD coloured world we’ve just been introduced to.